The Death Of Retail

Why do retailers take on so much debt? Can’t they raise money by selling more equity? It seems massive debt is a ticking time bomb once sales fall.

Start a new company, J&D, using AI in areas like help customers select clothes.

1 Like

Avoid any RE startups? Forever21, WeWork, … who else?

I don’t get what is so special about Compass…

1 Like

That’s crazy. It wasn’t that long ago they were a huge stock winner.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Sales process can be split into two parts : (1) product research (2) product delivery

Before internet, the salesperson on the shop floor provided information about the product and answered customers questions and objections. Product research and Price search can be done over internet. So, the only thing remaining is taking physical delivery of the product. Could be at a physical location like with click and pick at store model, or click and receive at home model . If it is service (like insurance or travel) a customer facing physical office has very little value. But, still, e-retail is not more than 10% of total retail.

I think physical retail will still survive because customers enjoy to touch and feel the product and relish window shopping. Also, lot of shopping does not require product research and only delivery for instant use.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

No need to help retail industry. The previous format is goner. A new format will emerge.

1 Like

I like their shirts…

1 Like

Guess what retail business is doing well? Yacht brokerages. My buddy in Stockton is selling … 22 boats in 6 weeks.
Best selling season ever.
He is picking up a $125k boat in Carson City next week 310 Formula. Foot traffic is nil. But people see the boats online and want them . His theory… people that normally go to Mexico or Hawaii are planing on summering locally. Great news for Tahoe and other lake resorts and the Delta. The rumor is Tahoe marinas opening June 1. Many private marinas in the Delta are already open. Especially with live aboards. Same in the BA.

2 Likes
2 Likes

The Death of the Department Store: ‘Very Few Are Likely to Survive’

The first reader comment says this:

This is what unfettered capitalism does, it allows speculators and analysts to burn businesses to the ground if it’s good for them. You talk about “job-killing regulation.” Well, there is also job killing deregulation. And it will only get worse until every business in America is just a poker chip at the table of the power brokers.