The IKEAization In Home Building

Agreed. That is a much more timeless style.

It seems like they can really do it well now…just bring the price down!!! Economies of scale, damn it!!!

If I can find the website again, I had a another great example where one would never guess it was prefab/modular. It was more modern too but nice. I believe it was down that way too.

Ok, here you go. Contemporary and modern looking but me like…

http://www.idesignarch.com/luxury-prefabricated-modern-home/

1 Like

I absolutely despise that style.

This is the prefab I saw and liked:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Redwood-City/1033-Redwood-Ave-94061/home/840771/mlsListings-ML81235329

Oh come on, Terri, I think mine in Burlingame would blow that one out of the water, no (just design, no money consideration)???

The Burlingame one is nicer than the Redwood City one. I’d live in the Burlingame one even though it does irk me when someone builds a modern home in a neighborhood with traditional style homes.

Man, but that is pretty darn nice for a prefab home, no? I do not recall one that was as nicely done as this one.

Sorry, I’m just not into contemporary styles. I like the slanted roof. Can’t explain it, but I don’t like a flat roof. I know it doesn’t snow here, probably doesn’t hail and would be great for the solar panels, but i still think flat roofs are a liability. Plus dated houses are also a liability.

I also hate those garage doors. I mean, I get that it lets light through, but I still hate them. They look so… IKEA!

Terri,

You are killing me! This is a killer house. If anything, these prefab homes are much more soundly made than homes made the conventional way. You can have steel frames that would be impervious to termites, wear and would be extra strong in case of earthquakes. How would a wood framed house do in a fire vs a steel framed house? Because of the added inherent strength, you can then easily have these very large open spaces with higher ceilings and large window openings. Imagine the ability to create literally your own dream home from scratch. Do you really want to go back to using an abacus when you can have a computer at your disposal?

I don’t think you read my post right. I’m not against prefab homes. I just don’t like the noveau box look. I’ve given it a lot of thought over the last 6 years as I see them going up in Menlo Park and Atherton, and they are literally my least favorite house. They stick out like a sore thumb and don’t go or flow with any neighborhood I’ve seen.

I posted an example of a prefab that looks totally normal from the outside–Maybe elt1 can tell, but I would never have known from the outside that it was prefab. I’d be more than happy to have something like that, but box no. I don’t care if it’s prefab or conventionally built. Let’s just say, I prefer the Imac to the NeXT cube.

1 Like

No, I get it and agree with you about overt box homes. THIS is amazing though (at least to me). I linked it again here but this is probably more your style. Pretty amazing that it is prefab/modular…

http://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/MODULAR-HOMES-HOW-THEY-STACK-UP-2527001.php

Definitely more my style :slight_smile:

Pre-fab are good for high density like apartments and commercial buildings. Residential houses should have character.

hanera,

From all indications, pre-fab/modular is the way of the future. Just like electric and self-driving cars. Once economies of scale kick in, there is no reason for conventionally built homes anymore (unless you want to waste money on the labor) IF pre-fab proves out to be actually better anyway. I am not an expert, but it seems to make sense that if you have computer drawn pieces if you will, it will be precise and quicker so less chance of error and down time. We see automation in everything, why not homes?

I think the current crop of prefab houses/buildings probably are “character-less” because they are boxy generally. But come on, look again at the example here:

That is NOT a box or house with no character!!! If she didn’t tell us, non of us would have guessed this was a pre-fab.

In this current era of tract home designs, where every home or every other home in the development looks EXACTLY alike, isn’t the ability to design every piece of your dream home down to every nook and cranny the ultimate expression of character in a home?

What I can see is that there are a lot of tradeoffs. If most of the lumber for a home is about the same size, does it matter whether it’s cut at the site or cut at the source? There’s no question that transportation is an issue to the site–the larger the chunks, the harder it is to transport. So what does prefab save on? Is it that you can build 24/7 because you’re inside and rain doesn’t get to you? Is it that you don’t have to worry about noise ordinances and nasty neighbors calling you in when you work on weekends? Is it that if you forgot a doorknob, you have 1000 of them sitting in a warehouse, but onsite, you have to send someone back to get it? Is it that your workforce stays in one place and you don’t pay them the overhead to travel? WHen it comes to mass manufacturing, the benefit you get is the precision of CNC manufacturing. If homes are being put together with nails or self-driving screws, and you’re trying to drill holes in precise places, you win with CNC in a warehouse. If not, I don’t necessarily see the benefit, at least for a wood frame house. For steel frame–maybe–given that you’re almost certainly drilling holes for bolts and it might be useful to have a scaffolding where you bring the multi-story house to the welder, and not have to rebuild the scaffolding for every house.

As for Bluhomes, the following is misleading: " U.S. can consume less energy, emit less air pollution and understand global warming." I don’t know how he thinks that steel frame does that. Wooden frames sequester carbon. Even in Britain, they are starting to talk about building houses out of wood to sequester carbon. Now, is steel frame better in earthquake country? Probably.

Terri,

I would agree with you that the older homes are better because the woods used in those homes are old growth trees. The lumber used today is simply not as good as before.

All I am suggesting is that we are in the early stages of prefab and so far it seems to be catching on. We don’t control the marketplace. We can say what we want, but if the cost came down enough that it made financial sense for builders to go that way, then it is going to go that way. Follow the money, Terri, follow the money…

Site built homes are more cost effective. …that is why all mass builders build on site…The factory is in the field…different phases allow crews to move from house to house…The cost efficiency is in building hundreds at a time…Infill construction costs much more, whether prefab or stick built…

1 Like

I know the house Terri likes on Redwood ave…not much better than a double wide. …But things are looking up for Redwood City…Charlie Sheen is moving to town…lol
http://kmt11.com/redwood-city-california/charlie-sheen-is-moving-to-redwood-city-california-says-he-may-run-for-mayor/#.V2V5tYqkx3U.facebook

Oh, shoot, my lil sis’s Emerald Hills beauty just took a hit…

I better break the news to her gently…

Pretty sure it’s a hoax.

That said, I would love to have Charlie Sheen run for office against Jerry Hill.