Thoughts on San Francisco

SF is not perfect, but it’s not as bad as news headlines suggest either. Most homelessness is concentrated in certain parts of town. Crime is more diffuse and really a street by street thing. My street has never seen any smashed car windows or house breakins.

I think the overall property crime level has gone up in Bay Area as a whole. I am still in my old neighborhood’s Nextdoor group in evergreen. Every week there are reports of attempted break ins. Same thing for a Chinese Facebook group in Fremont. My wife belongs to a WeChat group in Millbrae and again people complain about property crimes.

1 Like

https://sfgov.org/scorecards/public-safety/violent-crime-rate-and-property-crime-rate

@manch will say is ok, just break-in, no serious crimes like rape or murder.

:+1:

Round them up and give them some chores to do. If don’t do, no food and beverages.

How many decades do you want to keep looking?

That say a lot about SF :wink:

Huh? That is a good thing? A good street in the middle of bad ones :thinking:

This story is pretty funny. Planning commissioner is flipping a property and building inspection is giving him a hard time because the commissioner has always been picking on dept of building inspection. Oh well.

“Six Dogs LLC, a partnership that includes Richards and Noe Valley real estate agent Rachel Swann, bought the 22nd Street property in June of 2017 for $2.7 million. The group spent $350,000 buying out four tenants and put the building through a “multi-million dollar renovation,” which included remodeled interiors, new bathrooms and kitchens, windows and siding, roof and decks. Six Dogs is now marketing it as “a trophy collection of residences” for $7.88 million.”

'He said all the tenants requested to be bought out and that he had hoped the tenants paying the lowest rent — a family of Mexican immigrants paying less than $600 a month — would stay, but they wanted to relocate."

"Another city official, Zoning Administrator Scott Sanchez, said that the 22nd Street violations are serious and need to be corrected. This includes 14 windows installed in the rear of the building that don’t conform to historic standards. Also, the investment group needs permission for four skylights that were added to the roof without permits, Sanchez said. Six Dogs must remove six parking spaces from the building’s garage. Marketing materials tout the property’s 12 parking spaces, but the city allows only six spots in the building.

“There are clear violations here of the planning code and the building code and other issues,” said Sanchez."

Good fight. Eager to see what comes out in the end.

Too many parking spaces? How could there be too many? What a bunch of idiots. Ban the planning and building department not code violators.

1 Like

Wow, $600/mo rent.

I do not understand why some people hate cars and infrastructure supporting usage of cars (like garages, parking spaces, extra lanes or wide roadway).

Pretty stupid to hate parking, if you hate having to find a parking space.

There’s a new movement that is against “car culture”. They think here shouldn’t be highways and road speed limits should be 20 MPH, because it dramatically lowers the chance of fatality if a pedestrian is hit. They are anti jaywalking laws and view them as a construct of “car culture”. They think pedestrians should always have the right of way and be able to cross a street at any time and place.

These same people are against gentrification which results in higher density housing. They think there should be rent control or rent subsidies from taxing the rich, so they can live where they deserve. It’s most of the most delusional stuff I’ve ever seen.

Is chance of fatality very high? Isn’t it already very low?
Zone the areas into pedestrians and scooters only, cars allowed, and buses/trucks allowed.

We need dynamic congestion pricing, Singapore style. Also most street parking spaces should be converted to meter-priced to make better use of limited space. Lowering limit to 20 mph doesn’t make sense.

The guys who hate cars, highways, roadways, parking are modern time Luddites.

I would love to keep America as an America. No need to make it like HongKong or Singapore.

This usually mean the beginning of the end. Unwilling to learn from others. Resistance to change.
Luddites are an instance of this broader thinking :scream:

1 Like

What exactly do you want to learn from Singapore or Hongkong?
Congestion pricing? Is there no other way to solve the problem?

Didn’t think about it. Just referring to the attitude about “America as an America” seem to think that America has nothing to learn from others. It is already doing things the best way. That might be the general sentiments of Americans now.

Btw, when I go to learn about something, I don’t try to dovetail whatever “solutions” to my situation. I want understand the reasoning behind choosing the solution and the lesson learnt in implementation.

There is a strong belief held on this forum (though not mine) that best comes only from the Bay Area. I was just suggesting to look for a Bay Area solution (or American solution).

This forum? Not those techies :rofl: working in SFBA? Is a red flag.

:+1: