Trump says he talked to Tim Cook about building iPhones in the US

What do you feel about this? Will Trump be able to change/force companies like Ford-Mexico?

1 Like

There were rumors Apple is looking into it. Labor rates in China have been going up so much that there’s more and more automation in manufacturing. It could happen with enough automation, but then it wouldn’t be a massive job creator.

The Mac Pro is built in Texas. The iMac used to have a final assembly line in Fremont. I’m not sure if they still do. They could do something similar to iMac. A lot of assembly is done in a China, but the final assembly, software load, and quality checks are in the US. It makes sense to do with iMac, so they can sea ship them to the US. Then the configuration is done in the US, so they can ship within 24 hours. The iMac is so big that air freighting it from a China would be more expensive than doing final assembly in the US.

1 Like

Personally, if we can go back in time, I would want all of my electronics made back in Japan. Things made today, whether in China, Mexico, or here is crap to be frank. I buy a brand new refrigerator for a rental a couple of years ago and it goes out only after a year??? Who hasn’t had personally or heard of someone with a tv that goes out in a matter of a few years? My god, we had tvs before that you couldn’t kill if you wanted to. My wife’s Honda, bought brand new, has WAY more issues than my 25 years old Honda has ever seen.

I understand that means things may cost more but if they last as long as they should I probably wouldn’t mind as much.

1 Like

I know this suggestion comes a little late, but buy all your new products with a credit card that doubles that manufactures warranty period. If you get a one year warranty with a product, now you have a 2 year warranty.

iPhone is crap?

Maybe that’s all Trump will do, talking. He claimed the Ford factory decided to stay in US because of him, but Ford said it’s decided long ago. Trump said he’s asking Carrier to stay. Now Trump claimed he’s talking to Apple.

The clock can’t be turned back. Automation will march on. Globalization may hit a brief pause. But the gigantic economic forces can’t be easily turned back without great harm to everyone. Trumpsters will eat up some of Trump’s show piece “actions” and lies and call it a day. Maybe.

Imagine if it were made in Japan…

The leading candidate in France right now is best described as the Trump of a France. She wants to dump the euro currency. She supports nationalism. She’s against Muslim immigration. The tide has shifted in Europe. The Brexit vote was just the start.

Foxconn has more than 1 million employees in China. Back in 2013, there were 300k employees building the iPhone 5S, cranking out 500k units daily.

Hard to imagine anyone being able to hire that many technicians in US to take over iPhone production. It will take years to ramp up. And before ramp is done, union talk will kill the progress.

3 Likes

Foxconn supplies, contract manufacturing company, products for many US companies. It is not exclusively for Apple.

Major customers of Foxconn include or have included:
Acer Inc. (Taiwan)
Amazon.com (United States)
In 2011, Amazon and Foxconn formed a joint-design manufacturing company. The move was meant to produce an Amazon branded smartphone sometime in 2012.
Apple Inc. (United States)
ASRock (Taiwan)
Asus (Taiwan)
Barnes & Noble (United States)
Cisco (United States)
Dell (United States)
EVGA Corporation (United States)
Hewlett-Packard (United States)
Intel (United States)
IBM (United States)
Lenovo (China)
Logitech (Switzerland)
Microsoft (United States)
MSI (Taiwan)
Motorola (United States)
Netgear (United States)
Nintendo (Japan)
Nokia (Finland)
Panasonic (Japan)
Philips (Netherlands)
Samsung (South Korea)
Sharp (Japan)
Sony Ericsson (Japan/Sweden)
Toshiba (Japan)
Vizio (United States)

1 Like

I would bet a majority of them are building Apple products. You can see the growth in Foxconn employees as the iPhone boomed. The other customers weren’t growing much then. There’s multiple Foxconn facilities for iPhone and iPad.

I don’t think people realize the effort to make that many devices. There’s a dedicated Apple factory that employs 80,000 employees a shift and runs 3 shifts. That factory doesn’t even make a majority of the volume. Just the logistics to get employees to and from work is insane. That’s bigger than Levi’s stadium. Imagine if they had back-to-back games and everyone attending the second game was arriving before the first game started to leave. It takes forever to get everyone in and out of the stadium as it is. Traffic and light rail are a mess.

There’s no way they’d produce all iPhones in the US. At most they’d produce iPhones sold in the US here. I could see it being just the high end plus model which has the highest margins and could afford a hit to manufacturing cost.

1 Like

Is all about QC. Apple shows that given the right QC and tools, China can produce well built devices.

Hmm not sure which one you bought but the fridge I got a couple of years ago (LG) is still going strong.

I always thought the Euro will eventually dissipate; maybe it’s happening sooner than I expected.

1 Like

Probably some no name brand. My Samsung stainless fridge is still going strong, no issue so far, after five years.

1 Like

Trump will take credit on some random companies NOT moving to Mexico, and his fans will eat it all up as Trump’s miracles. Maybe everyone feels better and business will go on as usual.

Euro is doomed. There is no way you can have monetary union (same currency) but not fiscal union (a unified pan-European budget).

I keep going back to my gloomy point about income and wealth inequality. Last time we had so much inequality was back in the 1920s Gilded Age. We are now in another Gilded Age. We resolved the first one by fighting a very ugly WW2. I wonder if we are heading to WW3. No doubt the world has taken a very dark turn recently.

Definitely but not inter-nation war. Civil wars in many nations. Haves vs have-nots.

Less businesses in Mexico means more Mexicans coming here…Not the plan Trump wants…
In fact the Trump effect has driven the peso below 5 cents, making manufacturers even more competitive down there…

4 Likes

Trump has no plan. He will just con his way thru. His supporters ate up all the conspiracy theories and fake news all these years. Chances are they will eat up these fake Trump actions and policies too. And Wall St and Silicon Valley will continue to mint money, Midwest will continue to suck wind and wilt away.

1 Like