Uber self driving car kills pedestrian

Safe enough.

Exactly how humans feel.

This might also come at an advantage, donā€™t you think: Apple would spend much less on R&D and move much faster due to existing legal frameworks.

Then apple builds a high-end car, fanboys go crazy, people who make 50K/yr get in the line for buying one.

I still donā€™t quite get Appleā€™s angle at this. Apple is best at UI/UX but if the car is driving by itself you donā€™t need much UI. You literally just sit inside and play with your phone or sleep, and not pay much attention to the carā€™s interior.

Also at least initially self driving cars will be expensive and mostly bought by fleets, because fleets will utilize the cars more and wring more value out of them. Fleets donā€™t care about fancy cars they just want the cheapest the most practical. Again Apple will be at a disadvantage.

1 Like

Fair points. Same existential crisis with tesla? donā€™t you think thereā€™s a market for a premium-car class? Like BMW, Mercedes, or Tesla, Porsche etc?

1 Like

Those are not self driving cars.

Teslaā€™s self driving is a joke. It doesnā€™t have LIDAR and relying everything on image data. Avoid Tesla AV at all costs. They will kill people.

You did not see my point.

Donā€™t you think thereā€™s a premium car brand like Mercedes/Tesla/Etc that also happen to have self driving, which would also align with apple?

Car is still a UX, as much as you donā€™t see that, thatā€™s why Volvo/BMW/Mercedes have premium over other cars - they just drive better.

you can also add privacy aspect to it - apple is known for respecting privacy. Thatā€™s probably minor, but still something.

1 Like

In marketing, is called fast follower :slight_smile: as opposed to first mover. Both are good strategy, suitable for different market conditions. There is also late mover but not suitable for hi-techā€¦ do we consider FB as a late mover?

1 Like

Premium for the sake of premium is not appleā€™s model. Apple products sell for more because they actually work better. So no doubt Apple cars will sell for more. What I am trying to do is to look for things that Apple will do better than others, and see how those things matter in the context of a self driving car.

Premium cars are also a pretty small market. Thatā€™s another perplexing issue about appleā€™s entrance. Lots of capital but return doesnā€™t seem that high.

Will Apple just sell their self driving kit to other car brands? That would be very different from the Apple we have known for years.

2 Likes

Infotainment in car, premium subscription products for music & tv, and the car itself.
You can think of it as ā€œhow much time can i grab from a customerā€, and the goal is to maximize.
Then it starts making more sense.

1 Like

Zoox is the #1 self driving car company according to some lists. Why are people only taking about Uber, Waymo?

The self driving kit business is Nvidiaā€™s to lose. They have partnerships with many car brands. Intel also tries to break in with their mobile eye purchase. Whatā€™s googleā€™s business plan? Does it have one? :smile:

What? NVIDIA is the winner here, if every company uses their processors :slight_smile:

You are describing business model of fleets, not AV manufacturers.

I can see the future of AV fleets operated by Facebook. You hop on, check in with your Facebook id and you will watch Facebook content and ads. In return your car ride will be heavily subsidized.

Why does apple have apple tv? or siri? or apple music?

1 Like

Apple watch :wink: Face recognition :slight_smile: AR :rofl:

Business plan? What do you think this is MBA school?

1 Like

Maybe self driving delivery vehicles will come first with no passengers

It wants to operate a fleet. Watch out uber!

I think smart robotics makers will never sell their robots. If I invent a really smart robots, Iā€™ll charge for services done by my smart robot, Iā€™ll never sell it to you.

GM also owns part of Lyft and also owns cruise. Maybe GM will someday make all other auto makers bankrupt. Where is Teslaā€™s self driving car?

I just read a piece that invalidates what I wrote above. Self driving cars do need very good UI, because no cars can be self driving in all conditions. How do you tell drivers the boundary and what controls you give drivers? How to present those information and choices?

This is why so much work is going into how the vehicle might communicate with the user - how does it say ā€˜this is an L5 journey and you can sleepā€™, or ā€˜Iā€™ll drive myself for the next hour, and alert you 5 minutes before itā€™s time for you to take overā€™? Does that autonomous golf cart just refuse to cross an invisible line into a neighborhood where itā€™s not certified for autonomy? And can you push the Johnnycab driver out of the way? (These, incidentally, seem like Appleā€™s kind of questions.)

If you think about it, Apple must make the whole car. It needs to control the whole design. Less so for the self driving hardware. Rather itā€™s because they need to control the whole UI/UX of the car. Google or Nvidia can make the chips and the AI software, but Apple is uniquely positioned in designing the car itself.

Read the whole piece:

2 Likes