Uh Oh....The Layoffs Begin

2 Likes

I use the race car analogy. Adding more people won’t help them change tires any faster. There’s a point where they get in each other’s way more than help. There’s an optimal number. There’s a reason tech companies get displaced by smaller and faster rivals.

There’s a reason the trend is small scrum teams and short sprints.

3 Likes

Google is trying to go the HP route. They went from one of the best places to work to not even on the list in a very short time period.

2 Likes

As expected, good for Mainstreet.

The one doubt I have is about compensation. The people leaving top paying companies will probably have lower compensation in other industries unless they can get a higher title.

Current Tech layoffs are as much about comp re-setting as they are about recalibrating workforce strength. During the last 2 years, companies overhired and overpaid for those hires. Execs are seeing this as an opportunity to reset wages.

2 Likes

Elon tried that at Twitter. Jury is still out but general consensus is that it was stupid. It’s better to do this is tranches for it to be sustainable.

1 Like

Saw somewhere they also budget in RTO attrition, so their goal is to get rid of more than the amount being laid off. RTO is used as a tool to control headcount.

10,000 in Nov 22.
8,000 in Jan 23.
9,000 in Mar 23.
Three rounds :+1:. Historically, layoffs should be completed in AMZN.

1 Like

the numbers are crazy. I grew up in a town of 30,000 people. its like my entire hometown being laid off.

3 Likes

This is only employee counts, but there may be more contractors off the jobs and many contracts off the jobs. This is common to all companies as they declare lay off of employees, but not the other cost cutting contracts, and contractors.

But, everything adds to unemployment.

1 Like

So now even the job openings are fake?

:flushed:

4 Likes

I’ve always wanted to know how many job postings are purely to disqualify all applicants and get someone a green card.

A lot of it is also how horrific the job posting software tools are. They all suck. Closing a role means notifying all the candidates that they were rejected when they might be a fit for other roles. It’s 100% manual to move applicants from one role to other one.

The entire talent acquisition and HR space needs a complete disruption. Job boards are more of a curse than a blessing, because it’s far too easy for unqualified people to apply.

1 Like

Agree with the issues you listed with most tools. I know a few startups are trying to disrupt this space. Eightfold.ai and Seekout come to mind. I haven’t used either though.

1 Like

e-commerce is over-rated?
Or e-commerce marketplace is over-rated?

IMHO, neither is overrated. Just too many players and it might be a winner takes all market for each market segment.

Eg 15 years ago I used to comparison shop online. 10 years ago I would sometimes check on Jet.com or Walmart.com but usually buy on Amazon. Now, I don’t bother and just buy on Amazon. Before you say my situation has changed, I have seen this behavior with young adults as well. Amazon has everyone’s trust now. And it is very very convenient. So price or some other advantage has to be really compelling to shop elsewhere online. Perfect conditions for WTA.

1 Like

But AMZN is not doing well too?

I never buy from Amazon though I occasionally check it. I’ve found it to be consistently the most expensive online source for anything I buy. 2-5x more than the competition.

1 Like