US Citizen purchased a house (in US) while abroad - help!

My husband and I just purchased a home in Astoria, Oregon while we’re currently in Koh Samui, Thailand. We’ve been told the process is very easy and so far, it has been! However, now that we’re getting into the nitty-gritty, it’s become a bit difficult.

It’s necessary for us to wire transfer money to a title company. They REQUIRE a wire transfer or cashier’s check and will NOT accept an ACH/direct deposit. We’re finding this very difficult to do while overseas. Our bank will not do it unless we went to the branch in person (obviously impossible). Right now, our only solution is to have a family member in the U.S. do this on our behalf (we’ll provide them with the transfer account info/routing number and then we’ll reimburse them).

It seems like it should be SO much easier than this to get a wire transfer from one US bank account to another, despite me/us being out of the country. Am I wrong? Not to mention - the title company’s bank is the same as our bank!

This is also a bit worrisome because I’m wondering how the down payment will work when it’s such a larger amount. Another struggle, of course, is the frustration of being 15 hours ahead in time zones. Entire days are wasted trying to get one question answered. Hence the reason I’m looking for insight on forums!

Any help, ideas, insights, would be great! Currently waiting to talk to my agent about dealing with the transfer of money as the ball keeps rolling.

It sounds like you have been in touch with your bank directly, so they should have let you know what other avenues you had to make a wire transfer.

Chase allows you to wire money on your own via online banking.

Sounds like you are on vacation, so take a moment to breathe. You can get through the entire process while overseas. You can take care of signing docs as long as you have access to a US Notary which you can find at the US Embassy or Consulate. Good luck!

1 Like

I wire money all the time online from my chase account. My stock account also allows me to wire online. What bank insists you show up physically?

1 Like

Sounds like Chase is pretty great! It’s US Bank that requires us to be there in person. We do have a Charles Schwab account that looks like you can wire with ease. We won’t have enough time to transfer money from US Bank to Schwab to provide the earnest money. however, we’ll at least have it in Schwab for the down payment. That should hopefully make it much easier.