Warren Buffett

They are not.

My friend owns one, his returns are from the gas station stores and the real estate growth, but not from gas as the laws (fire related) are tough to meet and high insurance.

With electric cars coming out, they will soon be reduced.

Gas stations are a great real estate play. We turned one into 9 condos on Monterey ave in SF in the 80s…The SF planning commission was so proud of itself for knocking us down from the 12 allowed…Assholes, just like today…Aĺways looking to reduce housing stocks instead of increasing them. …Liberals are blind to this…just want to punish land owners…communist bastards…

1 Like

This gas station on 19th Ave in Sunset was for sale last summer. Asked for 6.3M.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19694336/1401-19th-Avenue-San-Francisco-CA/

Gas stations in SF and SV in general is a great way to bank the land. You get paid for holding it, and when the timing is right sell or develop the land for condos.

Just like what Ray Kroc said about McDonald’s. It’s not about selling burgers. It’s all about real estate.

Throw funeral homes in there. From what I’ve heard, the margins on caskets are fat.

3 Likes

Is there any restriction on building houses over previous gas station? I heard business owners had to clean up toxic lands including gas stations before using them for any other purposes. Is it true? I know somebody must have done it - I saw some new houses on Foothill Blvd in Cupertino, on an old valero gas station site.

There is sop ways to remove the hydrocarbons. …Part of the costsof turning property into highest and best use

I haven’t seriously looked into gas stations yet. Ones in SV are beyond my means. The Sunset gas station is pretty small for gas stations and price was already 6M. I remember reading somewhere structure of the gas tanks matter a lot, double walled ones are much better. Maybe @Elt1 can elaborate?

I would rather own a parking lot in SF…Don’t know all the rules today…We built the condos in 1982…Tough then…Near impossible now…

2 Likes

6% is nothing if you compared to investing in airlines in 2009 where you can easily get 500-600% return in less than 2 years. Granted I sold early back then but still got close to 500% return. For some one like WB I would expect more than 6%.

I have not listed PCLN for 6%, neither WB into PCLN. PCLN jumped as they had 17% growth.

Economy picking up
Travel growth is high
Gas value is not going up near future.
Corporate Tax rate reduction.

All these may attribute airlines stock. These are guess work. Actual calculations they(Berkshire) may be knowing.

Look at this homes, such a nice home at this price hanging for many days…

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Jose/1570-Willow-St-95125/home/107675396

There are two brand homes built here, unable to sell in spite of repeated reductions !

Reason: Next door is a gas station, tank leaked long back, city inspected, went on 9 years, finally city released that gas station is fine and closed the case.

No one wants to take any chance as leaked material may be under the soil.

The optimism in airlines is more about consolidation of companies eliminating excess capacity and giving them some pricing power. Consistently lower oil prices have helped too. Notice how they haven’t removed the bag fees which were added due to high oil prices? The capacity reduction will last until they need to grow revenue to grow profits. Then they’ll all start adding capacity and the price wars will return followed by lack of profitability. I’m surprised to see him investing in something so short-term (by his standards). It goes against his favorite holding period is forever.

Parking lot is great for development, but parking income might be too low to cover the carrying cost. It would be great to buy a parking lot in downtown when the city is founded.

Gas station in major cities may be too expensive to be profitable due to the land cost. But you maybe able to buy a good gas station in an area which is still not fully developed.

When Ford Field and Comerica Park opened, there was a free lot near it that was owned by the city. People would stand there with a roll of tickets and charge for parking for games/events. Talk about ROI! You collect for parking and don’t even have to buy the land.

Land banking in urban centers are probably too expensive. You have to buy the land and immediately develop.

Where is a good place to invest in parking lot and gas stations today?

The airlines have made the the flying experience so miserable I am sure more drive, especially to LA…the baggage gouging is disgusting and makes boarding take forever…

1 Like

Using WB name just to get click. Everybody know healthcare REIT is good since we are living longer. Tech ones are like shopping malls one, cyclical.

Ok, did one of you deep pockets win this???

Mmm, Smith & Wollensky is quite good but pricey…

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2017/06/09/warren-buffett-lunch-glide-wfc-brk-berkshire.html