What is Facebook doing!

right? I got carried away thinking I was the best trader ever in 2021, like everyone. hahaha

That’s my view too. So wait for progress of metaverse.

1 Like
1 Like

Monitor closely, is either fading into sunset (e.g. YHOO!) or coiling the spring (e.g. TSLA).

why do you believe FB could be coiling the spring?

Mark successfully migrate FB from desktop to mobile, it is possible that he is able to migrate FB to metaverse. Is all about leadership.

Many applications were ported from desktop to mobile over the last decade - FB, Twitter, expedia, whatsapp, banking application and several others . The list is endless. But, it will be interesting to see whether he (Zukerberg) has the leadership to give FB a decisive role in shaping metaverse technology.l

The big caveat is that FB didn’t revolutionize the category. Apple did, and eventually Android caught up. FB was a bit late to the native mobile application. They were stubborn by trying to do everything as a web app. Eventually, they came to their senses and just threw bodies at it to catch up.

To me, this time is different. FB is trying to pull what AAPL did with iPhone and I’m not so sure they will succeed. To me, the likely scenario is that AAPL, MSFT, and FB will all have their own platform. The platform has to have awesome hardware, along with a large ecosystem of software studios making compelling games/etc. To me, AAPL has the biggest advantage since they can easily migrate between iphone and whatever their AR/VR platform is. GOOG will likely won’t put resources into it until someone succeeds. If it does, they will throw bodies at it to catch up. This is the google way. :crazy_face:

Where do other metaverse players like U and GME fit in the scheme of things? Will Palantir be a player in this ?

They will never dominate the core platform side of things IMO. I know U is trying to monetize in assets but it’s nothing more than stencil arts selling it to lowly indie developers, and providing design tools for all the platforms. To me, the real dominance is at the platform layer. Dominate the hardware and have a large ecosystem of software studios/developers developing on it.

3 Likes

In pc space, Apple owns both. Hardware and operating system. Wintel is Microsoft on Intel or AMD hardware. Android phones are various hardware but google android. Can something like this happen in meta verse?

Maybe but android took a few years just to get close to iPhone. I know that internally, google still copies iOS/iPhone as much as they can. They also copy AWS for their GCP side of things too. Google will copy and execute well once the market matures so I doubt it will be from them in the early innings.

Too many unknowns for this to be a DIY type of ecosystem imo.

3 Likes

@pastora Thanks for sharing your in-sights and observations.

1 Like

Inside Facebook’s $10 Billion Breakup With Advertisers

Privacy features prompt e-commerce businesses to slash ad spending; ‘Apple has changed the game’

https://archive.fo/eZ83m

Key thing to note here is advertisers are moving to Alphabet and Amazon… GOOGL may have a big upside

2 Likes

Facebook Libra: the inside story of how the company’s cryptocurrency dream died

It had the blue-chip partners, the tech and the right players. None of which could save it

Facebook’s Parent Company Will Make Employees Do Their Own Laundry

The company told workers on Friday that it will reduce or eliminate some of its famous perks as it prepares for a return to the office.