When Do Girls Lose Interest In Science & Math

Depends on how much time she spends on studying. At least 1,000 Singaporeans at her age can achieve her record (in maths major, cs major, engineering major, physics major) but they has to work very hard. If she achieves that without needing to spend more than 1 hour per day in addition to normal curriculum hours and don’t study during weekends, then she is a genius.

1 Like

You mean graduate from university? Not MIT right? I don’t think there are 1000 Singaporeans in MIT.

1 Like

Graduate in 3 years with perfect record in universities (whatever universities, including non Singapore ones, they went to). I don’t view them as genius as they have to work very hard.
And I think there are at least 100, 000 Chinese and Indians that can do it. In fact, I heard many Chinese graduated in 2 years :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are 1000 Asian kids though.

I’m not going to say that a 5.0 is easy to get at MIT, but I agree with hanera–it is very possible if people work hard. I know multiple people with 5.0s. Some were bright and studious, some were very bright goof-offs, some simply worked very very hard, some had very good time management. Go to class, go to TA hours, do your homework, get to sleep before midnight. For a while, I did 1 out of the 4 of those and still ended up with a GPA of 4.x.

And for Physics, graduating in 3 years is definitely doable. In fact, if she was doing research over the summer for credit, she wouldn’t even have had to come in with credit. Chem E and some of the other majors are much harder because there are so many required courses. Elective credits are essentially irrelevant because you have to take the required courses.

The real question isn’t how quickly she graduated, but what is her thesis and research about and why is it ground breaking research?

I really don’t care whether she is a genius or not. I just want to know, how is she going to help humanities?

1 Like

How to get a GPA of 5.0? Does MIT have “AP” classes for undergraduates to take graduate courses for an inflated GPA? :grin:

This girl may not become a top physicist, but she could become a woman astronaut going to the Mars.

Still it feels goofy why there is an article about her before she has done any real research or any attempt to the Mars. Is there any political reason? Does Harvard really think she could be another Einstein? Becoming an Einstein does not need any propaganda, it’s totally different than political elections.

At the very least by being a role model for young girls to pursue physical science.

1 Like

MIT is on a 5.0 system. It just means she got all A’s.

I don’t know if you realize it, but the play on words in there is excellent, hanera. :slight_smile:

Ok. So let’s get to what the article should have told us… Here’s a description of her work:

"Before focusing on high energy theory, Gonzalez Pasterski worked on the CMS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider.[5] At 21, Gonzalez Pasterski spoke at Harvard about her concepts of “the Triangle” and “Spin Memory”,[15] and completed “the Triangle” for EM[4] during an invited talk at MIT’s Center for Theoretical Physics.[16] This work has formed the basis for further work, with one 2015 paper describing it as “a recently discovered universal triangle connecting soft theorems, symmetries and memory in gauge and gravitational theories.”[17] At 22, she spoke at a Harvard Faculty Conference about whether or not those concepts should be applied to black hole hair and discussed her new method for detecting gravitational waves.[18][19]

In early 2016, a paper by Stephen Hawking, Malcolm J. Perry, and Andrew Strominger (Gonzalez Pasterski’s doctoral advisor of whom she was working independently at the time)[20] titled “Soft Hair on Black Holes” cited Gonzalez Pasterski’s work, making hers the only one of twelve single-author papers referenced that was authored by a female scientist.[21][non-primary source needed][22] This resulted in extensive media coverage after its appearance on the arXiv and in the days leading up to it.[23][24][dead link]"

1 Like
2 Likes

So now only unattractive women can be interested in STEM? smh…

2 Likes

Guess you think you’re beautiful and interested in STEM. Please post photos :slight_smile:

manch - Post your daughters photo too :slight_smile:

Go back to your room and think about the errors in your logic.

1 Like

Post your wife’s photo please :wink:

She made eye contact with the photographer and dresses well. She’s not a space cadet like Einstein.

Maybe we now have a new category of genius–someone who thinks like Einstein, with the beauty of a model, and the social skills of an extrovert.

I was doing research on enterprise software companies and came across Elastic, an open source competitor to Splunk. Its HQ is in the Netherlands with another HQ in Mountain View. Its workforce though seems to be truly distributive. Look at their job listings:

Elastic and Splunk are in the “log file searching” business. Like Google, but only on machine data.

2 Likes