When wives earn more than their husbands, they both do something pretty terrible

I never cared about what is written in chinese on this forum.

Use Google translate :rofl: if google doesn’t update its translation for Chinese idioms and common sayings, I would launch a competitive product :joy:

My two statements are simple. Harriet said her friends complain they are underpaid, so my reply is “ So lucky to be at the right place right time and such a good life, still want to complain”. Harriet said didn’t describe the situation, so I change to “thinking highly of themselves”

1 Like

Cállate la boca! :rofl:

Shut your mouth :rofl: using Google translate. I think manch and tomato should work together to integrate translate into the blog. Again if they don’t do so, I would launch a competitive product that allow communication between different mother tongue without requiring them to learn a single language such as English.

1 Like

If you are willing to spit $ for it? :smile:

Google translate API costs money. I am looking into Microsoft’s. Maybe @tomato can give me free credits?

1 Like

Wow your translation cannot be more wrong.

Ooh. Great idea. I think I shall add my own translations. I wonder what would come out if i go from Chinese->Russian->Japanese->Spanish->English.

The heart of a gentleman with a wicked heart

言者無心,聽者有意

The speaker is not destined, the listener is interested

These are pretty old classic Chinese phrases. The translation is a bit off but still useable. :smile:

自以为才高八斗

Think about the relevance

maybe these would be more interesting if I passed them through Klingon at some point.

Means I never intended what I said to be dirty, but Manch had a dirty mind, so whatever I said turned out to be dirty through his false interpretation.

Terri,

Google tends to translate the words directly using the modern meaning. Many sayings are based on old meanings. Also, Other than needing to know the meaning of the sayings, need to know how it is applied to the context. Might to be too hard for Google translate :grinning:

When I was early in my first career I was making more than my father yet I couldn’t get a credit card without a male co-signer due to that time women were denied a credit profile outside of their husbands. Single women were hosed. My dad co-signed, which he did not do for my many brothers.

Many moons ago my spouse got a substantial annual bonus. During that decade + the bonus was under my investment control. After year four the income produced from the bonus was considerable more than than his base salary. To me it was a game; to him it was an insult. He’s older, old school and never believed that a female could be inventive, creative and make money outside a 9-5 job. I don’t recall ever getting a public acknowledgement of my success. I worked hard, lived below my means and invested well.

With the younger generation there are several females who make more considerably more than their spouses. It’s a mixed bag as to how it’s viewed. In one case he was the stay at home dad who kept the house spotless and is very involved in the kids lives. In another case the husband is viewed as a deadbeat. He works, he supports his wife in every way he can yet family pressure is that he should have a high powered job. No imagination in what work is. Those are the extremes.

I think it’s up to each couple to determine their financial goals, personal goals and work through issues of male dominance as they show up. It’s something that should be noted and worked out if it arises. Each stage of life brings new challenges and needs which require re-negotiation of who does what.

I find these articles to be written more for shock value than for information. I’m not fond of that.

4 Likes

I think the Bay Area is already quite supportive of stay at home dads, as far as these things go. Gender stereotypes can be even harder to break thru than racial ones. It’s not surprisingly to me that black men get to vote before women did.

3 Likes

You got it!

That’s me, based on some comments from my own close relatives, I am a bum, a lazy, a whatever for not working as other parents they think they know do that so easily. They just don’t know we decided that whoever earned the highest income would be the boss, the other would be the mom at home. I have no complaints, I know we did the best we could, and there’s no “machismo” here. I have seen my kids going from crawling, to making poop on the toilet for the first time.

The reward? Precisely 2 hours ago, I was cutting my hair, the last strands of hair I got on my bald head. But I am a little bit hairy, so I called my son next room to grab a razor and cut the hair coming down my neck. I directed him to cut downwards, not sideways. He was all shaky thinking he would kill me.

Then, my daughter walked by and asked him what he was doing. I replied “he is cutting dad’s hair”, and he will be wiping my butt when I get older the same way I wiped his butt when he was a tiny human being. I never expected him to hug me, but he did and said “no problem dad, I will”. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Good to hear from you nanomug!

I think the BA is supportive of a lot of stuff others don’t understand. You gotta do what you can to make it work here.

I know people who have their teenage girl and boy in the same room. In other places, I’m sure they’d be asked why they don’t get a larger house, and it would be looked down on. Here, it is what it is.

This is generational - in my group of friends a lot of women are making more than the men.

3 Likes