Why It Can Be Hard To Build Starter Homes

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/18/for-homebuilders-new-regulations-mean-no-new-starter-homes.html

I again have torn feelings towards these new regulations. As property owners I like the idea governments are pushing property values higher. That’s the golden egg part. On the other hand I worry too much higher and we may kill the goose.

Constantly wheeling out these new regulations means older homes have yet another reason to appreciate.

I have saying this for rwenty years. …Now the insane regs and fees are going nationwide. …the government is determined to force all to become homeless. In the name of environmentalism and consumer protection.

w much more expensive? Compliance costs make up 24 percent of the cost of a newly built home, and as home prices rise that share isn’t changing, meaning the costs to buyers is rising. The cost of compliance with government regulations has increased the price of a new home, on average, by 30 percent in the last five years, according to a survey by the National Association of Home Builders.
“The costs imposed during construction increased the fastest, rising by almost 50 percent, but even the more modest change in the impact of regulation imposed during development represents a 19.1 percent increase,” wrote Paul Emrath, economics and housing policy analyst at NAHB