Women Once Ruled The Computer World

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-02-01/women-once-ruled-computers-when-did-the-valley-become-brotopia

1 Like

So women are 17.5% of CS graduates but 1/3 of employees at tech companies. That means they’re hiring women without tech qualifications for tech roles or the non-tech roles are dominated by women. I don’t get how many sane person can expect a tech company to be 50/50 when women are 17.5% of the most common major hired by tech companies.

The 2% VC funding is only telling part of the story. To prove bias, they’d have to look at what percent of VC funding requests are made by men vs. women.

Tech is super demanding. It’s going to require long hours. It’s not going to be forgiving to people who need to come in later or leave early because of kids. If people want tech to appeal to women, then they need to change the workaholic culture. That’s not going to happen, because the workaholic culture is making people rich.

2 Likes

Ok here we go again… :rofl:

Most women.

Women would force a new bill to be introduced such that women are allowed to be flexible, choosing to work at home or in office as they deemed fit. Companies not allowing this practice is illegal.

I read the headline “Women once ruled…” … and then I see today 17.5% of all CS graduates are female…

Let me tell you how it once was… in 1984… when I started CS at a technical university, we were 210 students and… gasp… 8 of them were female. I cannot tell how many of the 210 made it all the way to the diploma (compares to an MS), I would say maybe half. Of those 8 girls, half had dropped out by year 3 for sure.

2 Likes

There was one woman in my Civil Engineering class in Berkeley in 1971, she dropped out.

Good article. I saw the Bloomberg interview the reporter did with the Google “biologist” before. It calls into question the kinds of criteria employers are using to fill their positions. If it is true, is it necessary that the “most common major of tech company hires” is CS? Or is that just the way it works out? Could it be that a major in another field/s could possibly have something different and innovative to offer tech companies? Are growth and change possible?

I wish people wouldn’t throw out comments like “most women” expect an even representation of men and women in all occupations, either. It is interesting that there is actually more gender segregation in occupational interests in rich, advanced, industrial societies than in developing or transitional ones. Interestingly, there is higher gender differentiation when it comes to math anxiety in those types of countries, too. The workaholic argument is really weak. There are plenty of demanding roles in other fields, including those which are female “dominated.” Of course, they are not often the ones commanding high pay. The luxury of choosing to be a SAHM or SAHD winds up a being a career sacrifice, that further reduces the pool of applicants for STEM-related roles. The “designated parent” should not be forever assigned to the female, either-- a point that Sheryl Sandberg made in Lean In.

:slight_smile: Just what I’ve learned on an interesting topic.

I was discussing this the other day. My HS calculus class was half female. We all got the same info from our guidance counselor. She literally spoke to the whole class about how our strengths in math would make us good fits for engineering. Engineering paid well, and there were lots of jobs available with strong job growth. Almost every guy in that class started as an engineering major and most stuck with it. None of the females even tried it.

It would be cool to see what the females did major in.

Quite a few became teachers.

1 Like

“Today, 49 percent of employed women in the United States, including 42 percent of working women with children, say they work primarily because they are their family’s main breadwinner, according to a joint NBC News-Wall Street Journal poll. That’s up from 37 percent in 2000.”

Women tends to be more sociable (is this taboo?) Most engineering work don’t require that much talking with others. Many engineering work requires muscles and out in the field, AFAIK, Asian (may be not American) doesn’t like to go out in the sun. What I’m saying, maths is not the only requirement.

1 Like

Can this be verified? It should not be hard to verify this. It’s better to pick MIT, Stanford, Berkeley or other big CS school

“By the 1980s, when the Macintosh was unveiled, women were receiving almost 40 percent of computer science degrees.”

In 1993, MIT CS was about 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 women, but MIT EE was higher. MIT Mech E was almost 50%, MIT math was probably 50%, biology was over 50%.

Regardless, there’s a lot of people who are not CS or EE who are software engineers-both women and men.

Interestingly, of all the people I know who are teaching after MIT–and not homeschooling–all are men.

Even Jerry is expecting a challenge…

This might explain why I beat a few guys at Mario Kart even though I play once in a blue moon:

1 Like

Most men would let the fairer sex win :grinning: