Working Class Millionaires

We’ll see what he has to say… :smile:

Divorce in Singapore is unthinkable.
Is very normal in USA :grinning:
If you’re marrying an American, you might need a prenup :rofl:

1 Like

That’s the job of the Chinese mother.

1 Like

My experience and observation is that the number one and two make-or-break issues in marriages are 1) money and 2) kids. Oddly very few couples talk about these before they tied the knot. And it shows.

We split the responsibilities 50/50. I made most of the decisions about money, and my wife makes most of the decisions about the kids. Of course we consult each other, but we know the other person knows and cares more about his/her domain.

2 Likes

Maybe the Indian monther. Chinese mother has lost their authority in arranging marriages.

Do you guys have joint bank accounts or separate bank accounts?

Separate. But I pick up some of the common stuff and wifey picks up some of the common stuff separately (and it just happened, never really talked about it). e.g. when i got pissed off with our high speed internet and canceled, she subscribed under her name and paid for it.

1 Like

I agree. biggest arguments I have had with my significant other (despite having very similar philosophies to money and both being independently ok) we about money till the kid came along. Then it was the kid! :smiley:

Of course separate. Each person gets 10 residential mortgages under Fannie Mae.

1 Like

So you now have 20 mortgages? :astonished:

I wish. :smile: That was when she’s still working. All our mortgages are in one person’s name.

My brother has exactly 10 mortgages… he likes to max things out.

Joint account. Any other couples?
3 mortgages.

I had almost 5 mortgages and two HELOCs, reduced the total to three upon selling one home recently.

This is why I know the pain of getting the mortgages!

You have not maxed out? Why not? Cash purchase is a waste of opportunity

Joint bank accounts & mortgages. I’ve used Quicken to track our spending & net worth since 2010 and I give my wife quarterly update on where on stand. Have one spreadsheet that I populate once a quarter to plot our income / expense, assets & liabilities. So she can have the executive overview in case I got hit by a bus.

She manage the expenses and enjoy finding good deals for things we buy and vacation!

2 Likes

This is the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy at the Dragonboy household…

sfdragonboy pays for everything and I have my own accounts which he has no idea how much I have unless I give him an update now or then.

Signed,

Mrs. Sfdragonboy

I don’t think we have any Japanese here. But in Japan, it’s customary for the housewives to manage ALL of husbands’ earning. In return, husbands get a stipend that includes lunch money and train fare.

I have other means of borrowing other than mortgages.

1 Like

That’s probably why marriage rate is so low in Japan.
After reading so many postings on gender, i became quite curious. Don’t men want to share financial burden with their spouse? I understand sharing chores is also a burden but i would want to share financial burden with my spouse regardless of my gender. That seems to be the better deal from men’s perspective but i am learning here that i may be wrong.
Probably because we have so many rich male landlords in this forum.
Anyway, we have joint account and just share everything in my family. I am not even sure who manages what since the boundary is unclear.

2 Likes