Dark Side of Silicon Valley

I’m sure Google knows what percent of hires are local vs. relocation. I doubt they publicly share it, but they know how difficult it is to get people to relocate to SV vs. Seattle. I’m sure they also know the retention rates both places too. At one of my previous places, our attrition rate in SV was over 10%. It was under 3% everywhere else in the US. We were in all the secondary tech hubs except Austin.

Is the housing price gap shrinking between Seatlle and BA? Some people move there due to better schools, lower crime and less busy lifestyle

They seem to track almost identical since 1990 in terms of % increase. It’s just SF homes are increasing that percent on a bigger base, so the increases are bigger. So Seattle is getting more affordable. Plus, there’s no state income tax. That’s a huge difference for people in tech.

Seattle def has done a better job of increasing housing supply to help keep it reasonably affordable. But is the tipping point going to happen soon there too, where the traffic becomes a nightmare or everyone gets priced out of starter homes?

1 Like

Is this a generic comment or referring to AI and cloud computing personnel specifically? My previous comment is about recruitment of those guys.

Looking at the next crop of mega tech companies, all of them are in SF and Silicon Valley. So we are good for another 10 to 20 years. Housing is expensive here, but I feel that the problem is somewhat overplayed. We still have vast swaths of buildable land in the East Bay. I keep saying if we have critical mass in the Dublin area then people can commute from as far away as Stockton. Houses there are 1/4 the price of SF.

It’s for SW engineers. I’m sure they breakout attrition rate by skill though. We did. We knew exactly which teams had the highest attrition rates, because the skills were the hottest. We’d also locate teams in specific areas based on schools in the area and their expertise.

1 Like

Not sure you get what I said in previous blog. What I’m saying is the reason of availability is the dominant reason, not the high housing cost, for AI & cloud computing personnel. Even though for SWEs, high housing cost is the dominant reason.

The big players relocate people, because there aren’t enough people locally. They are recruiting from companies and universities across the country. I took the original as they can’t get people to relocate to Silicon Valley due to housing costs. If you already live in the valley, then you’re already dealing with the housing costs. It’s more of a shock to people that aren’t from the area. It’s easier to get people to move to a city with more moderate housing costs.

@marcus335, you’re taking more from us…

1 Like

lol I thought it was the Pants company!

1 Like

sometimes is true, sometimes is bull.

Intellectual property rights is not enforceable across national borders! Might as well make everything open sourced and share the love with the world.

1 Like

https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/how-silicon-valley-is-turning-itself-into-detroit.html

America will turn into Africa first before SV turns into Detroit.

2 Likes

After many decades, the Virtual Corporation has yet to happen.

These are articles are always by people that have never developed or launched a product. They don’t realize how much faster collocated teams operate. The bureaucratic overhead of keeping a dispersed team on the same page is immense. It slows everything down.

2 Likes