Don't have down payment? Research, you will find it

This is how we got our home, through getting a handout from the government. :joy:

We had a company, a group, I can’t remember helping us to buy our first home in San Jose weeks after the recession. Because we were, I was, so my wife, in removal proceedings = deportation process we didn’t want to risk our money, otherwise we would have gotten a better deal because nobody was buying at that time.

So, 3 years after the first attempt on ownership, once I walked out of that miserable court hearing where I was given a permanent green card, my wife and I decided to buy a home. I went back to my emails, and by given God’s hand I found the information for San Jose first time home buyer’s program. And here we are.

This is without graphics, it just tells you to donate for people that need a home. I donated $20 already.

Today is

#GivingTuesday

This is Sonya and Chris at home in Gilroy with their two daughters. They all lived with Chris’ parents for four years with the couple sharing a room with the youngest. Most of their daughters’ toys had to be kept in boxes because there wasn’t much space.

At first the living situation was chosen so they could try to save money for a down payment on a house - but like so many families in the greater Bay Area home prices just kept climbing faster than they could save.

DONATE NOW

They first learned our GAP program - which helps with down payment assistance - at a local library. For months they researched the program and our homeownership team helped guide them through the paperwork to keep them moving forward until they finally were able to move into a home of their own.

Sonya told us the girls were so full of joy when they moved in they danced and rolled around on the floor - and when they opened up the boxes of toys it was as though they were opening new presents since they finally had room to play.

Your donation today doesn’t just go to our homeownership, rental home or homelessness assistance programs - it is a down payment on a brighter future for a Bay Area family. Today is #GivingTuesday - give the gift of home.

Also Housing Trust’s board has generously offered a dollar-for-dollar match for Giving Tuesday up to the first $5,000. Donate now and make your contribution go farther!