Earthquake risks (in St. Louis)

The brick is installed over a wood framed wall, right? You are not talking about unreinforced masonry walls, right? Then the bricks may collapse and the wall may stay up.

Isnā€™t brick or stucco for that matter bad in the sense that any settling (be it from earthquake or minor) could result in cracking? Siding to me seems more flexible. My own stucco needs to be redone on one side of my home and I had considered putting siding on there. Too major of an expense. Stucco it isā€¦

1 Like

Vinyl siding performs probably best in an earthquake.

Those hardie planks will break when you drop them from 2ā€™ on the ground. A 12ā€™ long lap siding board is so weak, if you carry it the wrong way, it will break from its own weight (you have to carry it upright, not flat). I would think that in a major earthquake, cement fiber siding will break to small pieces. Not just a few cracks. The small panels that simulate wood shingles are no better. Theyā€™re sized 2ā€™x4ā€™ā€¦ very brittle.

Cracked stuccoā€¦ one can just put another layer over it. Thatā€™s what they did with my old Capitola house (* 1920). It had like 3" of stucco after the '89 earthquake.

Hopefully in St Louis, they are talking about wood framed house and the brick is just cosmetic over the plywood.

Back in Germany (nearly no earthquake risk), they build the exterior walls from blocks with mortar between them. Itā€™s actually 2 such walls. The inner wall is 6 to 10" thick, then a 4" air gap, and then another 6 to 10" mortar/ brick wall. Yes, the total wall is ~20" thick. My parents did an addition around 1975 that way.

This would perform horribly in an earthquake.

That is the planā€¦not cheap and I have to repaint. Yes, besides the occasional leaving of garbage or old furniture on the corner this is another drawback to having a corner home with all those exposed sides. Canā€™t have everythingā€¦

I believe it is non-structural brick over wood, but I definitely would want to check on that. I did ask someone who was in construction whether they considered earthquake risks on the newer construction, and he said yes. So that is goodā€“I donā€™t know how far back though, EQ considerations went.

Vinyl is the cheapest lowest class siding of allā€¦The trailer trash of sidingā€¦Brick cladding over wood framing is far superior. .non structural. ā€¦My guess is it adds at leat $30k in value in a fly over stateā€¦Ask local realtors but vinyl siding is not considered and assetā€¦Even a gardeners weed whacker will whack a hole in itā€¦Will melt in high heat, traps moisture causing dry rot and does not age wellā€¦

1 Like

The Arthur pl house has dropped $100k since Mayā€¦wait till next May should be freeā€¦lol
Prices all over the chartā€¦But like most fly over states depreciation is more common than appreciation. ā€¦Look for deferred maintenance and compare to new housesā€¦Go with clad windows, brick and make sure there have been no leaks in the basementā€¦

1 Like

Supposedly new vinly is betterā€¦Dont. buy a pre 2000 vinyl houseā€¦

Price dropped again $478K.

Dutch auctionā€¦keep waiting for the next price dropā€¦BTW, it can be resided with Hardee siding for $20k, get the discount for that, tooā€¦My friend just sold her Michigan house for $160kā€¦The vinyl siding was ruined by the tenant from rocks throw by his lawn mower. .Tenant occupied for 10 yearsā€¦ $40k worth of deferred maintenence. .In good condition worth $200k

1 Like

:slight_smile: Yeah seriously. If the worst thing wrong with the place is the siding, man weā€™re doing well.

Price dropped again to $469,500. :slight_smile:

Comes with an ELEVATOR!!!

3 story houses arenā€™t very livableā€¦Huge lot why 3 storiesā€¦bad design

Exercise!!! Free stairmaster included with house.

I hate the 3 story trend in urban houses. I realize itā€™s to get more density on the land, but I donā€™t want to live in one.

I grew up in a three story house in the Berkeley hillsā€¦it was terraced into the lotā€¦well designed each floor had access to the yardā€¦But when my dad got old we put in a stair climberā€¦It would have been better to moveā€¦A three story house on a 20k sf lot makes no sense

2 Likes

I guess I honestly have no problems with multistory as long as Iā€™m ok with the kids running up and down the stairs. It makes access to all rooms more centralize, and given that 4/5 of us are overweight/obese, I think the forced exercise would be a good thing. We can move later when we get old. Weā€™re not going to want a 4000 sq ft house either at that point.

My husbandā€™s grandmother is almost 90 and in great shape. I attribute it to the fact that she is activeā€“climbs the stairs every day and still gardens.

You may not have much earthquake risk, but the riot risks are really high. Thereā€™s another one going.

Oh yikesā€¦ :frowning: