For all the 1%s here

You went to an expensive restaurant :grinning: Can get good laksa for S$4 (US$2+) per bowl. In Singapore, you donā€™t go to restaurant for food, more for entertaining foreigners like you. You go to hawkersā€™ centre for delicious food.

1 Like

Every half year i go back to hk, things gets more expensive
in tokwawan/mk even hk style ghetto cafe for 2 ppl lunch is around 60-70 bucks minimum. The wunnam rice noodle for 2 is over 100 easily. itā€™s cheaper than US but itā€™s getting more expensive every few months.

From what my wifey tells me, staples like groceries are getting more expensive in neighboring Malaysia.

Anyhow, I remember reading an article saying 5M is the minimum for people to feel secure. If I only had 1M besides my primary I wonā€™t feel rich at all. I can certainly make do and even retire comfortably if I managed my expenses sensibly.

Because we always compare ourselves to neighbors. Silicon Valley has the highest concentration of rich people in America. If you were living in Sacramento or Fresno then you will feel rich with just $1M.

3 Likes

Everyone in the US is in the top 1% of the worldā€¦And most of us in the BA are in the top 10% of the USā€¦It is all about perception. ā€¦The rioting 99% are basically full of self loathing, class hatred and horseshitā€¦They have no clue how life really is for billions in the third worldā€¦And even less knowledge on how to improve the lot of the 99%ā€¦

3 Likes

I think that by just saying 1%ers we are implying they are billionaires, rich is something subjective, I am rich, I can enjoy a full day with my kids, something even billionaires canā€™t afford. I am rich on the opportunity to live the lives of my kids, from seeing them being born at the moment the labor started and ended, from wiping their butts and changing their diapers, to see them growing inch after inch, and for that, nothing can buy that opportunity.

To me, 1%ers are billionaires. The Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Tesla guys. The rest? They are rich, but are they put into the 1%er club? I wouldnā€™t. I know some posters here are rich, but 1%ers? Come on! Try to stop working, letā€™s see how long your $ lasts.

I believe rich people go on their daily routine without the fear of their income stopping. And I know, Iā€™ve met people in my former country so rich and miserable because they count the pennies and not the precious time they have left to enjoy life. Their mantra is to stop eating a banana so they canā€™t spent energy throwing the skin. They kick the can, and they never enjoyed life, those who are left behind will do.

Is there anybody here rich? Can you stop doing what youā€™re doing without any worries? If you can, then you are a rich person.

It would take me my whole life working hard to make up for what real rich people spend in a year.

All the debate about 1%ers is about them not paying taxes, right? Thatā€™s the false accusation whoever is against rich people spout. Right?

Thatā€™s why I had an argument with a poster here who said something about me criticizing them but helping them at the same time. Well, I was and I am against hypocrites who tell or ask others to pay taxes as Twhitler did to others but ā€œhe doesnā€™t pay taxesā€ through tax loopholes available to whoever pays a good CPA or tax attorney. Got it?

Oh, I forgot, rich people can afford financial advisers at $5K an hour. They can afford to have what his name? Tony Robbins coming to have breakfast with them. Easy to puke $200K right there for the advise. These are ā€œrichā€ people to me.

Can I get there? Working hard? Maybe. Working smart, possibly. I am against the clock, thatā€™s for sure. It just takes one opportunity, whatever that is I am looking for it.

I repeat, 1%ers in my dumb opinion are $ billionaires, and they are not posting anything on this forum, and thatā€™s for sure.

Top 1% networth and top 1% income has a 50% overlap. So if you want to be wealthy, you likely need to earn a high income

https://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/economix/2012/01/17/measuring-the-top-1-by-wealth-not-income/?referer=

I remember seeing the top 1% in income changes quite a bit each year. Salaries that high are super rare. So itā€™s a combination of bonus, stock comp, investment gains, selling a business, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks to the new tax bill it is much better to have a high net worth than a high incomeā€¦It will make it harder for wage earners to become richā€¦

2 Likes

Yep :frowning:
Makes the US population less economically mobile. sigh. talk about building a moat around the haves and have nots.

1 Like

I think Tim Cook has been a wage earner his entire life. Canā€™t say heā€™s not richā€¦

1 Like

He did it under the old tax plan. :slight_smile: lol. Anyway heā€™s an exception rather then the norm.

of this writing, Appleā€™s market cap is $886 billion. According to a bonus clause in Timā€™s contract, when Appleā€™s market cap tops $1 trillion he will instantly be awarded options that will make him a billionaire.

Tim Cookā€™s current net worth is already 800M

At the time of his death in 2011, Steve Jobsā€™ net worth was estimated at $10.2 billion. From his early days at Apple, Jobs had been rich. He had a net worth of more than a million dollars by 1978, when he was 23 years old.

There are employee owned businesses. Tim Cook is a big AAPL owner

90% of Cooks networth is from stock options not W2 salary.
It is very hard to get rich on salary alone even for high earnersā€¦

2 Likes

So, nothing has changed? No millionaires retiring to the Bahamas this year?

Somebody will, those in the Goldman Sachs club in the white house will ( I wonder if that word Sacks doesnā€™t come from ransacking a country?).

You and I know thatā€™s for sure.

I am thinking about retiring for the fourth timeā€¦ My wife wonā€™t let meā€¦ Says I need something to keep me busyā€¦