Need To Get Away To HK?

I love Singapore Airelines as well. I didn’t know they have a direct flight from SFO to Singapore now. I used to take SQ1 and SQ2 all the way from SFO to Mumbai via HK and SIN, back then we called that route the “curry express”.

I agree with this sentiment. First of all, HK is forward and modern in every way that Chinatown in SF is backwards. Secondly, the food in HK is lightyears — lightyears ahead of anything you can find in Chinatown, let alone North America. Probably Chinatown represents HK in the 1950s — 70 years ago. Chinatown is trapped in a time warp. But things are changing. :wink:

I went to school at Tsinghua in Beijing 25 years ago. I feel Beijing has certainly lost an innocence – a certain charm or je ne sais quois that it had back then. The drive for modernity and prosperity has changed everything so much. I used to ride my bike along the dirt road near the East Gate (I think it was the East Gate) — and when it would flash rain, the road would flood and the sewer would over flow. OK, that wasn’t too charming. But sitting by the roadside on plastic stools and pounding Beijing Beer and dumplings was charming. Now its all technology parks.

The best example of pre-Communist-Party Chinese culture, as it was, can be found still in Taipei. :slight_smile: :wink:

2 Likes

Yup, wifey took it last Christmas to go home. Raved about it, so no more connectors for her (unless it is a vacation detour).

1 Like

Has much changed in HK lately? Grew up there, but haven’t been back since '99… HK in 90s was definitely a “world class” city as @sfdragonboy puts it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well ---- HK is no longer in its heyday…

• Disappearing booksellers courtesy Beijing
  • LegCo candidates must be “approved” by Beijing
  • Umbrella Movement Leaders — in jail
  • HK Cinema no longer in its prime
  • Its not the same HK of Chow Fun Fat / CID / Leslie Cheung / Anita Mui …
1 Like

I have only gone to Beijing once but can imagine how different it must have been 25 years ago…the one time I went I was blessed with nice weather (see pic below taken at the Great Wall):

Here are some more pictures from my Japan trip just now. Somehow managed to see cherry blossoms :relaxed:

2 Likes

Wow Harriet, those pictures are fantastic! Professional grade! Bravo!

Thanks @aalj! I took them with the new Samsung phone I got at the end of last year (the Japan ones) :laughing:

Harriet, you are too humble. The quality of the pictures stems from the framing – the user behind the equipment - not the equipment itself. :slight_smile:

1 Like

BTW — this is one the photographs of a street scene that I took on the dirt road right outside the East Gate (I think) of Tsinghua 25 years ago ---- So incredibly different than it is today!!! The restaurant behind the coal-carts looks terribly unappetizing.

2 Likes

28 years ago was 1989. 6/4 Tiananmen student riot. Could you be one the those students opposing the Chinese government and got political asylum from America? :slight_smile:

??? Why did you change it back to 25… I swear I saw 28 at one point… :thinking:

:wink: In my age my math ability has declined. Subtraction is hard for me these days.

Ok if that were true you probably can’t go back to China ever. Quite pitiful actually…

I must say, your fondness of trying to put 2 and 2 together is quite endearing - perhaps I am WuErKaixi! :wink:

Um… isn’t he happily married in Taiwan? You are definitely not him for sure. But perhaps his 同黨。

I mean, I would not have inferred all these if not for the fact you were trying to hide that 28 year number and also your antipathy towards the Chinese government.

Ok ok, you got me, I am his 同黨 :slight_smile: BTW - The Chinese Government - indeed, I have a very poor opinion of them.

Really… so it is true, ok, so everything makes sense now :slight_smile:

:fist_right::metal:

Since you studied in Beijing I have to ask…does that mean you can roll your tongue when you speak Mandarin? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hahahahaha. Can I? Yes. Do I? Only if I am tired of sleeping in my comfortable bed and wish to be excommunicated and forced to sleep on the couch. Think Stephen Chow imitating a Beijinger :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, hey, hey if that is not sexual harassment, I don’t know what is…:wink: