Predictions for Sunnyvale, Cupertino

XLK is the S&P tech index. The expense ratio is 0.14%. It oddly has AT&T and Verizon, 43% of it is Apple, Microsoft, Google, and Facebook.

1 Like

Why pay that commission when you can own the underlying stocks outright.

1 Like

It’s too much trouble to manage too many individual stocks. I have gone through several cycles myself: too many individual stocks then start to consolidate to just a few indexes. Then over the years, I would gradually buy and own too many individual stocks again, and now I am in another round of consolidation.

3 Likes

No need to consolidate anything when you are buying and holding. I haven’t sold any stocks I purchased ever, except for a few round of exchanges.

2 Likes

Buy and hold works great for the last a few years. But as a person who had been through the dot com bubble and great recession, I tried to stay a bit more active in my investments. It didn’t always work out(sold NFLX at $190). Just do something to make myself feel better. :rofl:

Why this ratio?

Simple equal weight… approximately.

You already have lots of aapl. Why buy more?

Guess you didn’t follow the conversation.

It was just an index he created; he never bought any of those stocks.

WHAT?? :scream:

1 Like

Back to RE.
95014, 43 SFHs for rent vs 9 SFHs for sale
Slightly more inventory than 94087, cut n paste from previous post:
94087, 34 for rent vs 6 for sale.
As a landlord, very annoyed with the high inventory for rental.

To many investors and not enough homebuyers?

1 Like

That means it’s easier to sell than rent. Was it much easier to rent than sell in 2010? If so, that means this is peak market.

2 Likes

The market will peak when tech crashes. No one on this forum is betting on that scenario. But is has happened before in 2001 and in 1990…

1 Like

Tech is such a big part of the economy now. Tech crash is the same as economy crash.

2 Likes

For the 0.14%, they rebalance the index based on market cap. I’m not sure how often they do that. There’s also a ton of stocks in it if you wanted to replicate it yourself. Maybe if you bought the top 5 stocks, then it’d be easier to manage yourself.

1 Like

I think that’s basically yes. People don’t want to sell fearing home prices will continue to increase. Better to rent out and purchase in cheaper areas to live.

So if there is a peak and prices drop, will investors head for the exits? Or will they be happy with 10-20% less rent and hold on? Like in 2002, after the DotBomb