Predictions for Sunnyvale, Cupertino

I applaud their debt free living but would not have done that if I were them.

4 Likes

Hey, different strokes for different folks. Kiddies are out of the house and they want to enjoy their lives. Nothin wrong wit that… Not everything can be so easily measurable and only on a financial basis. Remember, you too shall perish one day…

2 Likes

Sunnyvale market is redhot.

2 Likes

The urge to own in South Bay is very strong.
94087, 34 for rent vs 6 for sale.
How to convince those landlords to sell their SFHs?
In such a hot stock market, probably better for renters to continue to rent and pump money into F10.

1 Like

A one-time investment home sale in your lifetime with NO capital gains tax ramifications.

Shoot, that might not even do it…

2 Likes

Overall inventory is also low. But is inventory higher than 1 year ago?

SCC: 876
SMC: 371
SF: 560
Alameda County: 1090

What is F10?

Up 29% since Aug 28.

So do you think it will go up another 29% in the next 6 months?

I hardly monitor these stocks at all. They are always in the news and well recognized. Only note their share price once a week for comparison. South Bay are full of techies, and from what I know, many of them buy tech stocks. That is, I am not making any forecast of the price direction.

I understand buying what you know. But if a tech worker buys only tech stock then when tech has a downturn he loses his job and his investment wealth…

3 Likes

If I wanted to invest in tech, what is the best ETF or mutual fund?

Financial advisors always tell you not to invest in your own company shares including the same category. However, those techies that follow this advice and sell all their RSUs upon vesting and deploy in other stocks in other industry are lagging way behind those who hold on to their vested RSUs. Something has changed… it seems the megacap tech are owning the world… you can see return of my sCap can’t even beat them… thought is an easy feat… big guys are not supposed to move that fast.

The only fund I own is VFINX (a S&P 500 index fund) set up since I arrived in USA in 2002. Auto-investing. Nearly $1M worth now. Rationale for choosing it is because it invests in best 500 companies in USA, best decided by a committee and updated frequently.

If you can get to admiralty level, the load is less with VFIAX. If you really have a lot of dollars, then fidelity has a similar fund with a 0.05% lower load.

XLK is the S&P tech index. The expense ratio is 0.14%. It oddly has AT&T and Verizon, 43% of it is Apple, Microsoft, Google, and Facebook.

1 Like

Why pay that commission when you can own the underlying stocks outright.

1 Like

It’s too much trouble to manage too many individual stocks. I have gone through several cycles myself: too many individual stocks then start to consolidate to just a few indexes. Then over the years, I would gradually buy and own too many individual stocks again, and now I am in another round of consolidation.

3 Likes

No need to consolidate anything when you are buying and holding. I haven’t sold any stocks I purchased ever, except for a few round of exchanges.

2 Likes

Buy and hold works great for the last a few years. But as a person who had been through the dot com bubble and great recession, I tried to stay a bit more active in my investments. It didn’t always work out(sold NFLX at $190). Just do something to make myself feel better. :rofl:

Why this ratio?