Rent here, buy there: The first house these Bay Area residents purchased wasn’t in the Bay Area

Brooke Hernandez, a Realtor in Lake Tahoe and former president of the South Tahoe Association of Realtors, says about 75 percent of her clientele lives in the Bay Area. She says she’s recently worked with 10 buyers with permanent residences in the Bay Area who can’t afford to purchase homes there.

“It makes sense to me,” she said. “There’s value in investing in real estate, even when you can’t afford what’s in your neighborhood.”

3 Likes

I looked at the idea back in 2006.

3 Likes

I was waiting for this wave and it finally arrived! Sacramento, Tahoe, then Vegas, Pheonix.

Maybe we should start flipping houses in Sacramento, Tahoe, Vegas and Phoenix now

Vegas eh? Didn’t someone post an article here about someone losing money on Vegas?

I bet on the wave 4 years ago… Waiting for the tsunami here at the lake… Can still buy a decent house for $400k … Vacation rent it for all your costs and be able to use it a few weeks a year…

1 Like

Which part of Lake Tahoe do you live? (I think I saw somewhere you mentioned South Lake Tahoe, but wasn’t sure).

I’d be interested in getting a property in tahoe at some point, for retirement + vacations along the way. Are there decent / reliable prop managers for vacation rents? I’d love to hear more about these scenarios. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah South Lake Tahoe is the only affordable place left on the lake
Still can get water front in the $500s.
We are licensed property managers. Have properties in South Lake Tahoe and Stateline Nevada…
I have been telling rent control apartment tenants to buy in Tahoe fir many years…Best of both worlds cheap housing in SF for life and a vacation home with potential appreciation all the way to retirement… and even then keep your rent controlled apartment…