SV really has become a leftists echo chamber

I won’t go into the whole article that was posted, because the 1st few lines of the article are BS par none, hence the rest can only try to support those 1st few lines.

Can’t find something specfic to SV but SV can’t be worse than AVERAGE usa freedom of speech

Hence, have posted just a few links. I can provide many many more but I will desist.

A man in China has been sentenced to five and a half years in jail for selling software that circumvented the country’s pervasive internet censorship controls, a sign authorities are stepping up a campaign meant to “clean up” the internet.

Wu ran a virtual private network (VPN), a tool that allows unfettered access to websites normally blocked by China’s massive censorship network. The Great Firewall, as the censorship apparatus is commonly known, means people in China are banned from visiting thousands of websites, including Google, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/11/freedom-of-speech-country-comparison/

USA Rank - 43
China Rank - 176

https://rsf.org/en/ranking_table

2 Likes

I bet the guy fired by google would disagree. You should probably separate freedom of speech protection against the government vs corporations. In the US, we have protection from the government. Corporations fire people all the time for saying the wrong thing. That’s pretty anti free speech.

1 Like

Corporations are slave masters…they pulled the wool over America’s eyes and got the biggest tax break in history…Shocking after they won their supreme court case and can donate as much as they want…

1 Like

That’s fundamental misunderstanding of freedom of speech. It only means freedom from government persecution. It doesn’t mean you are free from social consequences.

If you are CEO of a company and say racist stuff I as private citizen can exercise my freedom of speech to call you a racist and call for boycott of your company’s products. What’s the problem? Rich people should be cuddled because they can’t handle the social backlash? If you can’t handle the heat keep your mouth shut.

3 Likes

As a Westerner in China Sam has way more freedom than ordinary Chinese. What he did was just “speech arbitrage”. I suggest Sam try to talk about Tibet, June 4th, Taiwan independence, Western democracy, Falun Gong or many other banned topics.

You want to say racist and homophobic stuff? Sure, go to China. They don’t care about those things. They may even agree with you. But as soon as you go into the topics they care about? Watch out.

4 Likes

Corporations have all the privileges and none of the responsibly of persons…Can spend billions on controlling politicians but can’t be put in jail…

1 Like

Corps pay less taxes too. Welcome to our kleptocracy.

Meanwhile there is a war on Christmas going on in China. I love China. But Sam like most Westerners just don’t get China.

Party poopers

Oh good grief. Complain complain complain complain. CA steals…errrr…taxes your money left and right. I’m all for anyone not paying taxes to CA until CA learns how to spend it wisely.

2 Likes

Don’t deflect on the very core of the topic.

Somebody here said something very childish. He accused all people in the Silicon Valley of not saying Merry Christmas. That was really, really LOL

Happy Holidays people!

Dang it! I forgot my manners!

Merry Christmas everybody!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Oh but wait, I’m not in CA right now.

Does Trump’s daughter say “Merry Christmas” anymore? :slight_smile:

Why is saying merry Christmas such a big deal? Did Obama stop saying merry Christmas? I can’t remember… :rofl:

1 Like

Everyone is free to say “Merry Christmas”, why are some people made feeling guilty to say Merry Christmas?

1 Like

The google engineer never should have been fired for what he said. That was clear over reaction by the leftist echo chamber which is the whole point.

1 Like

Merry Christmas greetings were banned by the Feds and corporations about 30 years ago. The war on saying Merry Christmas started by Jews and Atheists has been reversed , when they realized the Ali Akbar greeting was far worse… lol

Never understood. I am not a christian, but i have no issues saying merry christmas - it just brightens the moment, doesn’t make me any less in my own faith

3 Likes

Ali Akbar? Lol

I am Catholic and say “Happy Holidays” to everyone except people i met at church.

However, once in a while i meet Americans who reply “Merry Christmas” with somewhat offended look. Is there anything rude in saying “Happy Holidays”?

I use it simply because i know so many people who are not Christian.

I wonder if there is something i miss in “Happy Holiday” vs “Merry Christmas” issue.

As a Christian, i don’t feel offended at all to hear “Happy Holidays”. Isn’t it more inclusive greeting?

3 Likes

When you see Americans or Westerners, you say “merry Christmas”. When you see non-Westerners, you say “happy holidays”. Context! Don’t use the same language on everyone.