SV really has become a leftists echo chamber

Even “Happy Holidays” can be offensive to someone who does not have days off at work! So, are we now going to say “Happy holiday or work”?

Saying happy holiday instead of merry christmas sounds so machinized, it takes fun out. Plus, no religion has monopoly over any festival. We celebrate all (fun) festivals regardless of religion. That’s true inclusiveness.

1 Like

I get “offended” when non-Chinese people say “gong hay fat Choy” to me during Chinese New Year. Actually I get “offended” whenever they tried to say “ni hao” to me. What exactly do you mean Ni Hao? Is it that you don’t think I can speak English very well or you are trying to learn some Chinese from me? :wink:

Neither one. Its people trying to impress you. No reason to be offended.

1 Like

I used to work for Israeli company and there met so many Jewish American co-workers.
I couldn’t distinguish them from non-Jewish American at first and i learned that they celebrate Hanukkah instead of Christmas.

I usually say Happy Holidays first but reply Merry Christmas to whoever says Merry Christmas.

So you are scared to say Merry Christmas and trying to substantiate Trump’s claim that he needed to make it ok for people to say Merry Christmas?

Happy holidays vs Merry Christmas is not a small matter. It’s the fight between monoculture and mutilculture, it’s not a non-issue. The debate will be good for people to treasure people from all walks of life. I think it’s nice that we are using this seemingly nonsignificant topic to ignite a national and even global conversation.

It’s a fight dreamed up by the liberals to attack the conservatives. It was never an issue before the liberals came up with such “guidelines”. What a bunch of idiots. Please find something better to do.

3 Likes

I am not scared of saying Merry Christmas.
I just want to be polite to non-Christian people who celebrate holiday of their own religion.

I am actually more scared to see some people’s reaction when I say Happy Holidays.
They usually say “MERRY CHRISTMAS” with angry look.

If it is OK to say Merry Christmas, what is wrong with saying Happy Holidays?

1 Like

Because you are a “foreigner” insulting them in their own country. You are indirectly telling them that saying “merry Christmas” is wrong and politically incorrect.

Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas

is the same as:

All Lives matter vs Black Lives Matter?

Do I understand that correctly?

1 Like

What festivals of religions other than Christianity do you celebrate?

Where do I start? For one, we are not Christians :slight_smile: So, certainly all festivals of our own religion…

1 Like

So, you are not Christians and feel offended to hear “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas”?
I am a bit confused but trying to digest the real(?) context behind it now.
Anyway, I guess I should not say any greeting first.

He said he likes to hear people say merry Christmas over happy holidays because the latter sounds “mechanized”.

1 Like

It is Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Happy Holidays is a construct created by the government and corporations. Nobody very liked it…

1 Like

Jane was saying people get offended by “happy holidays”. That rings true. It’s not the stereotypical liberals who get offended by Merry Christmas. It’s the other way around.

I only say happy holidays to people now because I am not used to say Merry Christmas anymore. And j never had any problem when I say happy holidays to people.

I think the key is not to forbid people from saying “Merry Christmas”.

The Happy holidays expression means you are a corporate stooge or a PC worry wart…not a way to make friends…Not sure? say nothing

1 Like

I say do the opposite. Always say Happy Holidays to strangers. And if they took offense those are the crazy nuts you want to avoid.

At least half the country finds happy holidays offensive…Kind of like going to a Raiders game without a costume…lol…living in the BA you won’t notice it…But in Trump country people will notice…

1 Like

If you need any more reason to avoid Trump country there you go. Who crazy people take offense at people greeting them? Probably the same nuts who scream at people not speaking English among themselves.

1 Like