Where do you find tenants?

I have been using Craigslist, Zillow Rent Manager (got out to Zillow, Trulia, Hotpad). So far Craigslist has really bad inquiry rate, and Trulia & Zillow were the highest.

I haven’t tried Facebook although I heard some good things about it. I am curious on what fellow investors do and your experience.

Same as you. One blogger here claim that Craigslist is the best but my experience is the same as you, hardly any leads from Craigslist.

Are you sure? May be in East Bay only. For Tahoe :wink:, Craigslist is the best. I heard there are many scam ads so many people no longer wants to look at Craigslist for rental.

Zillow is the way to go. Craigslist dropped off very badly for some reason… still good as a gauge to compare with others how your rental stacks up.

I always post ads on zillow and Craigslist. Even though I get like 10 leads from zillow and 0 from Craigslist…

2 Likes

Not a landlord (yet), but how about Nextdoor?

Craigslist is a crapshoot. A lot of spammers and people playing games but sometimes you get one or two serious inquirers. I sold my old car on Craigslist but perhaps it’s a different ball game for RE.

Other than Facebook, now you can rent through Nextdoor Neighbor.

Fastest way to sell :slight_smile:

Isn’t Nextdoor available to the people who are already in the neighborhood? Like if my prospective tenant lives in SF, how can they see my listing from Daly City?

So far no one has done Facebook? Maybe time to experiment, I have one vacancy coming up next month.

1 Like

Took me about a month I think because I didn’t sell it for super cheap. Got 75% more than some low-ball offer I got at the dealership.

No I think you can place an ad in the public at Nextdoor and not just your neighborhood (but you can do that in your neighborhood as well just in case they might know someone).

1 Like

Always sold mine super cheap :wink: about $1k-$2k lower. Sense that buyers are very happy. If they have to buy 2nd hand, guess they don’t have money :slight_smile: so no problem helping them a little, was in this boat for many decades previously.

Ditto, Craigslist seems to have dropped off some and the other sites seemed to offer higher quality candidates. Again, Craigslist is free (as the others) so cast that wide net anyway right?

1 Like

My property managers uses software that automatically lists on the most popular sites. She said hot pads and zillow generate the most leads.

Do you know what are the most popular sites? Right now, listing on Zillow syndicate on Trulia & Hotpads automatically. I am reading about Zumper which syndicate to Realtor.com & Padmapper (and probably to Facebook too according to Facebook article)

https://www.facebook.com/business/help/127319601299513

I’m not sure. I think there were close to 20 though. She said zillow and hot pads generate the most leads.

Why not post on all sites?

1 Like

I have always had good luck with Craigslist - selling cars, renting out places etc. Tried Zillow syndicate, but CL is what delivered in the end.

1 Like

I have always used craigslist and craigslist only for all rental listings. The results have been satisfactory so far, but I will start to explore other sites now that some of you are saying others are better.

My wife have been selling various household good on CL over the years. We have many bikes and at one point I felt like we were a small-time used bike dealer. The key is to have patience.

We bought a used car in 2017 and we completely depended on CL for used car leads. Worked out well.

Where is your location? For SV, Trulia has the most leads. Btw, don’t quote experience more than 1 year. Time has changed. Two years ago, Craigslist is the best, things change.

I used Zillow. It has a function to spit out HTML code for Craigslist so I took that and posted on CR as well. But CR is full of crappy people. Did you guys get scammers who claim to be moving from London to Bay Area? Somehow it’s always London.

I am a member of a Chinese RE group on Facebook. One good thing about FB is its targeting. For example, if you really want certain types of tenants you can target your ads that way. Another great source is WeChat if you want rich students from mainland China. In Hong Kong they are known to pay a full year’s rent in advance.

2 Likes

Last experience using CL in SV is about a year ago.

Yeah and I ignored those emails. That’s part and parcel of using CL.

For SFBA rentals?

1 Like