Your favorite pre-ipo companies

Probably. A bunch of my friends from MIT lab joined him, but i haven’t been talking to them lately, so cannot tell if they fired.

450M cannot lead to fire unless you are the founder.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-26/payment-startup-stripe-is-now-a-20-billion-company?srnd=premium

What do you think about the prospects for Nginx, or Hotel Tonight?

How different are Stripe vs Square? There are so many payment processing systems in the world that I’m totally confused. Any articles on payment processing systems? I presume they automate different payment processes, in different industry, …

Apple Pay - Payment?
PayPal - Payment?
Due
Payline Data
BitPay
Adyen
Cayan

My favorite pre IPO company is the one @harriet works at. What’s it again, @harriet?

1 Like

:expressionless:

1 Like

Last I checked:
Square is intended for merchants who need to take payments via cell phone or ipad. Software is for cell phones and ipads only. Laptop software is lacking. Great interface for phones/ipads.

Stripe is for people who want to integrate with laptops or software. With Auction software, we use barcode readers. Or online software.

1 Like

Thanks Terri.

So Square and Stripe are both B2B?

Who are the US companies with B2C payment processing system (not referring to credit card)?
PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, … anyone else?

Confused as to how either Square or Stripe are different from Paypal or Apple Pay?

square is physical merchant payment product, but now they are doing business loans etc as well. And they are kind of trying to expand their foot print by companies acquired.

Stripe = paypal, but much much much better. never heard anyone say anything bad about them.

Makes sense for Square and Stripe to merge.

google should have acquired them. i remember talking to my favorite director about that 2 years ago. he was saying square might be more interesting.

Words are hard to understand. Are there any payment process flow diagrams? Need to know where are everybody operating at. Something similar to supply chain diagram + ISO for networking would be good.

Why? They’re two completely different target markets?

I think Stripe is like Twilio, but for payments. It gives you payment API.

it is different, but the infra is similar. You can double dip.

Yeah, there’s not much overlap. Yet. But going forward they will increasingly get into each other’s turfs.

Most people don’t realize, but Visa is a 330B company based right here in Bay Area. If executed right Square can have a very long runway.

1 Like

The world is getting unnecessarily complicated.

Previously, what is your phone number? Now has to give many email ids, facebook id, tweeter id, cell phone number, snapchat id, instagram id, etc. Can some1 simplify back to ONE id?

Now same shit repeated for payment. Cash, now has checks, TT, paypal, square, stripe, Apple pay, etc. Apple please kill the rest of the payment processing system, thanks.

1 Like