10 yr arm vs. 30 year Mortgage

Yes, gain would be hopefully nearing 1.5M by that time. The plan is to rent out it out fully, live in the exchange home, see and feel if semi suburbia is all that it is cracked up to be, and then decide if we go to market or not. We are getting older, and with no children, time to spend on ourselves…

Is it better to retire in the city or the suburb? What do most people do?

Well, I plan to move back to Chinatown where it would be uber convenient for grocery shopping and just being in such a general central area. Weather in Chinatown is fairly decent compared to most of the city too. I would do suburbia to experience it while I can and then finish it off by going home. Full circle…

You’re gun shy to start a new topic or don’t know how :wink:?
I retire to the suburb.

Just a side topic, not a major concern

:joy:

1 Like

Well, think about it, if you really think that in your senior years you will be able to get around still on your own go for it. All I know is, seeing my elderly mom and my friend’s parents age on, it is inevitable that some major help will be needed. At least in a city setting, healthcare and transportation is readily available. With self driving cars maybe mute but still, will you be able to climb stairs easily (if you have any) in your 80s out in suburbia?

If that’s the case, why are you moving to suburbs?

Mainly taking advantage of current 1031 exchange rules but these are a factors: proximity to BART for work (office is moving), want to barbecue in a real yard without freezing to death, give wifey her dream gourmet kitchen, get a huge garage that will accommodate a few fun cars and my man cave.

W2 job has more cons than pros…what you said is one of the few pros.
I need to start my own gig some day.

Before you do borrow as much money as you possibly can. :smile:

1 Like

I was contemplating about starting my own consulting business last year but the bank told me about the stringent mortgage requirements so I abandoned the idea at the time. It’s frustrating really.

1 Like

Harriet LLC :slight_smile:

Con & Insult :wink:

After retirement, small capital = consulting company; big capital = private equity :grin:

Hey gotta start somewhere…I don’t have deep pockets like you do to come up with something big right off the bat.

Have many friends in consulting business, quite varied, land surveying, IT consulting, management consulting, personal finance consulting, maths “exam” (can’t remember the exact word use) consulting, etc. Surprisingly, many of them are lone wolf.

Easier to manage and greater flexibility as a lone wolf, but more lucrative and less time consuming if you have staff consulting on your behalf while you are counting money (duh)…S vs B per Rich Dad Poor Dad.

2 Likes

Agree here. Only when ARM rates were significantly better (>1.0) than fixed would I even bother considering ARM.

You can work as a contractor and still get w2 income. That way you can still qualify for mortgage, and you can possibly start a side business.

But business doesn’t mean big income. I think it’s better to do landlording instead of consulting. Private equity or more passive role is even better than RE investor.

Huh? Contractors get 1099, not W-2.

Hate to break it to you, but having money miraculously dumped at your door trumps all of the above.

A rabbit hitting a tree?

Yes, and got hit on the head real hard…