1031 in Realtyshares

Got this in my mail today:

"Do you own a real estate investment property? If so, you may qualify for a 1031 Exchange. RealtyShares is now placing 1031 investors with sponsors who are willing to accommodate investments via a 1031 exchange.

What is a 1031 Exchange? A 1031 exchange allows real estate investors to defer their capital gains tax on the sale of a property by reinvesting the proceeds in another qualifying property under Internal Revenue Code Section 1031.

What types of Projects? 1031 eligible projects must fit a certain criteria outlined by the Internal Revenue Service in order to be eligible. Sponsors have expressed a desire to use a tenancy in common ownership structure in order to accommodate these types of investments. Given the nature of these ownership structures, we are currently only able to accommodate larger investments.

To find out if your investment qualifies please complete this quick survey. We will contact you if we have eligible offerings that meet your needs. "

Not interested in TIC.

I’d be considered about liquidity and how poor liquidity could impact sales price in the future.

Could be a care free choice for a 95 year old

What’s the general consensus on pitfalls of crowdsourcing RE investing platforms like Realtyshares?

Bumping this question to get your thoughts on crowd sourcing websites like Realtyshares. Seems like a good way to become a couch surfer flipper in bay area? Comments welcome !

I think doing direct flipping hands on is way more lucrative (more risky of course). For RealtyShares, its ok to spread your bets and keep each bet low and take the 8-10% payout. Ive had mixed experiences with RealtyShares - Ive had to wait longer for 2 of the sponsors (flippers) to sell the houses - one in Tiburon and one on the East Coast in Connecticut. I think the high-end flipping market is peaking/has peaked and Ive not committed any more money to any new investments on RealtyShares.

is the 8-10% payout taxed as income?

If you invest directly then yes you pay tax just like any other investment. You can hold it in a Roth ira at Millenium to shield it from tax. Ask RealtyShares about it.

Is it reliable income? What was the payback time period? Thanks