1M budget what would you pick to invest - condo in SF vs SFH in Berkeley/Oak?

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Francisco/16-Howth-St-94112/home/814692

1 Like

How is this area in general (Balboa Park)?
There are some nice looking SFH for sale there within 1M: https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Francisco/833-Cayuga-Ave-94112/home/2034213
For primary, it looks to me like you get more value than Berkeley/Oak but for rental Iā€™d probably look to trade for somewhere with better rental income

Is this true? Last time I looked, most ML shops are down in South Bay, typically dominated by big corps like FANG. Itā€™s hard to do ML when youā€™re at a small company, since itā€™s almost always about the amount of data.

How much VC capital is in SF? We still do have the usual suspects like AirBnB, Uber, etc., but I donā€™t see any new shops opening in the last 2~3 years. What are the next big ones?

1 Like

I think the VC pendulum may be swinging back to the South Bay because of AI. SF will still be there, but South Bay is grabbing a bigger piece of the action.

1 Like

I turned down a private sale in Westlake. Convenient, yes, but too cold. If I am going to make such a big move and actually buy I want it all which means at least a tad of sun. No settling.

Sam whats the rental yield on those ?

Fresnoā€¦ the last frontierā€¦ Might be a bearish sign
It is the last place investors goā€¦ Where does the market go from here???
Bakersfield???

East San Jose. Plenty of opportunities for flippers.

Id expect it to go for at least 300K more, but yea like to know about the area around balboa, I mean there is a whole foods on ocean ave, so that means something positive right?

it may be flattening, here is a map of VC funding

1 Like

True, oh well. Maybe you would be interested in a Berkeley/Oak rental for $1M near Whole Foods and BART instead? :slightly_smiling_face: Iā€™ve been thinking about 1031 exchange as well but it seems very difficult unless you can find a private saleā€¦

I should start a thread of our properties that we wouldnā€™t mind selling or 1031 exchanging. We can trade amongst ourselvesā€¦

2 Likes

Good idea, but are there others? We could trade properties for $1 each :smile:

I suspect there are other forum members who are lurking around and perhaps might have properties that they wouldnā€™t mind selling or exchanging. We can see if Fearless Leader or another member who is registered as a RE agent is willing to do the paperwork at a reduced forum friendly commission level.

Everything I have is for saleā€¦ Including my shoesā€¦ Any offers? My wife is a broker.

Gosh, @Elt1, I think we all would love to see your complete list of properties for saleā€¦

Send a private message

2 Likes

yea the area near ashby bart is on my radar, walkable and close to berkeley bowl, whole foods and bart and berkeley schools are ranked high. Just have to pay high prop taxes !

This Fresno 1031 tax deferment exchange is NOT for me. It is for an investor who sold his SJC home and went to Fresno or outside in a B, C neighborhood prices are $225-275K the rental is $1600-1800 a month. You can estimate cap rate (~5-6% may be).
Sam Shueh

Fresno is no bargain at those rentsā€¦Better off in Sacramento or Tahoe