2020 may be a good time to build a granny flat in California

CA is against property rights, period. Just look at the moms4housing situation. That was a SFH. It’s best to avoid areas where renters have a meaningful voting block.

1 Like

I would love to see a fight between the State and TRPA. It is a federal organization responsible to nobody. I would love to see California take them down. Environmentalists vs homeless advocates. Time to watch progressives go nuts.
You can’t even add a 10x10 shed if it exceeds FAR rules.

It dawned on me the other day the push for ADU is a stealthy way to get rid of single family zoning. Cities of Minneapolis and Portland led the way in upzoning entire cities. Californian cities just don’t have the political will to do that themselves. NIMBYs are too powerful. Legalizing ADU’s statewide is a poor man’s way of upzoning single unit lots to 1.5 units.

Finally the fish realizes it is being cooked like a frog. The greed of a SFH owner has turned against them. I has never liked ADU, make the house and neighborhood look cheap.

I am for getting rid of zoning, Houston style. Or if we must have zoning, make it state level, Japan style.

1 Like

The revised subsection (e) is perhaps the most significant change of all. This provision provides some minimum guarantees for every lot in the state that allows for residential use, notwithstanding any requirements of the local zoning ordinance. First, each lot with a proposed or existing single-family home must be allowed to develop a new detached ADU of up to 800 square feet. Alternatively, each single family lot is allowed one ADU and one Junior ADU if each is contained within the space of existing structures. Homeowners also have the option of combining these options by adding a junior ADU from existing space while also adding a new detached ADU to the lot. Lastly, lots with multifamily buildings are allowed to convert unused space to new ADUs, and develop two additional ADUs in new detached structures on the same lot. Importantly, all of the ADUs allowed under subsection (e) would need to be approved ministerially, notwithstanding the requirements of the local ordinance. ** The revised subsection (e) is perhaps the most significant change of all. This provision provides some minimum guarantees for every lot in the state that allows for residential use, notwithstanding any requirements of the local zoning ordinance. First, each lot with a proposed or existing single-family home must be allowed to develop a new detached ADU of up to 800 square feet. Alternatively, each single family lot is allowed one ADU and one Junior ADU if each is contained within the space of existing structures. Homeowners also have the option of combining these options by adding a junior ADU from existing space while also adding a new detached ADU to the lot. Lastly, lots with multifamily buildings are allowed to convert unused space to new ADUs, and develop two additional ADUs in new detached structures on the same lot. Importantly, all of the ADUs allowed under subsection (e) would need to be approved ministerially, notwithstanding the requirements of the local ordinance. This means that a minimum of three units would be allowed on all single-family lots in California, 1 and all lots with multifamily buildings would be allowed at least two additional units depending on the amount of unused space.**, 1 and all lots with multifamily buildings would be allowed at least two additional units depending on the amount of unused space.

Hmmm, is this right?

I have a 3/4 acre lot with a house and a cottage. Can I add another 800sf unit with a garage below? What about TRPA?

Apparently if TRPA (or another local authority) denies your application, this group will fight on your behalf and sue.

Newsom is getting rid of SFH zoning statewide. Bold move. I like that. :heart:

I don’t care about the ADU. I just want a 4 car garage.
But a 2 bd ADU could get me $1800/m rent.

Then why comment when this Whole thread is for ADU.

No offense. I will take the ADU on top with a garage underneath, but in Tahoe the garage is in even more demand. The TRPA has restricted growth for 40 years. Most 50-100 year old cabins were built without garages. So there is an even greater shortage of garages . The garage would add $100k in value. The ADU about only $75k, mainly because most buyers don’t want them. It could still be used as an office or art studio. The whole property is a rental. So three units is fine for me. Cost? $150k-$200k. About break even.

Thanks for clarifying. I meant no disrespect.

2 Likes

I thought the new state law allowing granny units and even a third unit made everywhere upzoned.

1 Like

My tenants are still paying. They have nowhere else to go.

They are targeting me.

Won’t it be great to have a rental activist picketing you in your backyard.