2020 may be a good time to build a granny flat in California

I believe owner occupancy is no longer required. You can rent out the main house and ADU.

Go full bazooka. Rent out main house, jr. ADU (garage or basement), and ADU. Bam triplex.

In Eldorado county the owner has to be onsite

Not 100% sure but the county might be in violation of State law. :man_shrugging:
What do you think @Elt1 ?

California Expands Homeowners' Rights to Build Accessory Dwelling Units | Nolo.

Senate Bill 13 takes away local agencies’ ability to require owner-occupancy for five years, and won’t let them charge impact fees for ADUs under 750 square feet. For larger ADUs, it creates a tiered fee structure based on size

Bill language

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB13

(4) Existing law prohibits a local agency from utilizing standards to evaluate a proposed accessory dwelling unit on a lot that is zoned for residential use that includes a proposed or existing single-family dwelling other than the criteria described above, except that, among one other exception, a local agency may require an applicant for a permit to be an owner-occupant of either the primary or accessory dwelling unit as a condition of issuing a permit.

This bill, until January 1, 2025, would instead prohibit a local agency from imposing an owner-occupant requirement as described above.

Sounds good to me. I have one on my farm. Plus an additional unit which maybe legal.

Do you own MFH’s? You thought about potentially adding 2 more units? @Elt1