2020 Recession - Global Lay off started now - first airlines

Man, now the entire state shuts down! That escalated quickly!

Gov. Gavin Newsom escalates coronavirus effort, asks all California restaurants and theaters to close

The Federal government should ban all corona virus lawsuits. Trial lawyers should not be allowed to benefit from this national disaster

Say for example, security staff must be there for day and night in big companies.

Medical professionals can not take leave and may be directly affected.

Police force must be working …,etc

Companies must have some medical assistance, insurance and compensation for them.

It all depends upon judges. Lawsuits are not that easy even in the best case.

1 Like

Depression.

1 Like

problem is i think after this will change a lot of people how their behavior, the way they spend, they place they go,maybe 70% ppl will WFH and not many people will be driving etc…
Not sure which company would survive.

1 Like

I am almost certain that AAPL, AMZN and MSFT would survive. I just don’t know the smaller ones.

2 Likes

The only company to not survive are those with obsolete product, or those who cannot withstand competition, or have products that can be substituted. For substitution to happen a new technology must emerge. Unless that happens, All companies there were doing good one month ago should re-emerge from this crisis.

1 Like

High cash rich companies will survive as they can withstand the financial pressure. Most cash rich companies will buy their own stocks as buybacks as they are deep low price.

1 Like

Depression.

Wondering why these cash rich companies don’t follow Alphabet model to set up an investment arm to acquire dirt cheap companies.

Have you experienced a depression?

Many companies are also venture capital, but they promote like minded technologies so that they can take over in future.

Alphabet is one among the first one to sponsor any innovation or any ideas irrespective of their own field. It is mainly started by founders so that all innovation belongs to them.

It is mainly leadership that drives all projects.

Intel has funded several startups. Doing so keeps those companies out of intel bureaucracy

This is a forced recession.

1 Like

I have been saying this for long time. Glad found a fellow thinker.

I think there must be a number on the forums who think the shut down from covid-19 is causing a recession, myself included. There isn’t much of a debate there.

The only thing that is worrisome is that there looks to be a lot of debt out there for everyone. Gov, businesses, and people. People on the forums were talking about raising cash by cashing out equity a few months before. The stock threads on the forums are probably the longest threads here.

1 Like

I have posted several notes where I said characterized the corona virus as some thing that “cannot even kill an ant” . Only 5000 dead out of 7 Billion world population. People may survive corona but not an economy in state of shutdown or lock down. This is not good for politicians who have been paddling fear. Once people realize they have been hoodwinked by the shenanigans of these politicians, they will trust them less. Media and Government agencies, and politicians are responsible of this forced shutdown.

2 Likes

Characterizing CV as fake I don’t buy. There are other people that think along those lines. Tons of conspiracy theorists.

I think you may be proved wrong very soon that we cannot survive a lock down. That’s happening to a large degree right now.

Why do you think politicians have been peddling fear? It seems like it has been the exact opposite. Our country and people did not take it seriously. We thought we were special and that it was nothing. We were clearly unprepared. Hospitals are sourcing equipment from the public. There are a lot of threads on NextDoor about this.

Because you appeal more when you appear compassionate and careful. That is how politicians like to appear. And it is easy to fool voters by telling what they want to hear. Than to tell the reality which they not like, and loose elections.

No one wants to take risk. What if analysis comes into play. Therefore, politically it is safe to be cautious by taking the less controversial action.