Actually It Is Toronto That Is Kicking Everyone's Butt

People say Seattle weather is bad. It’d downright tropical compared to Toronto.

1 Like

Once you realize it is in Canada then you know it’s fake news.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-25/housing-lottery-with-50-1-odds-reveals-dark-side-of-toronto-boom

A few more years of insane immigration policies and our beloved Silicon Valley will be in real trouble.

1 Like

The article mentions the cost difference as the main factor. Silicon Valley is about twice as expensive as Toronto in total cost. Midwest is still more expensive than Toronto. Canada is cheap, I don’t know why.

“A 500-worker company requiring 75,000 square feet (7,000 square meters) of office space can expect total annual costs, in U.S. dollars, to range from $27.6 million in Montreal to $32.2 million in Ottawa, with Toronto in the middle at $30.2 million. The costs in Rochester, New York, the cheapest U.S. market of those CBRE studied, amount to $36.3 million, while the Bay Area adds up to $57.4 million.”

1 Like

That’s my biggest worry about RE in SV.

1 Like

Rhetoric? Land and labor cost in SFBA is too expensive because every megacap companies and startups look for the same talents here. Semi businesses have been moving to Austin for awhile, even though recently there is a resurgent of Santa Clara city because of IoT, and AV. Notice even software giants like FB, and Google are into hardware like IoT and AV!

I thought data showed more H1-B going to elite tech companies and fewer to outsourcing firms like Infosys. That’s actually bullish, since elite tech companies pay more.

2 Likes

Toronto, the Quietly Booming Tech Town

For all the excitement around places like Austin and Miami, the biggest tech expansion has been in Canada’s largest city.

2 Likes