Airbnb worthwhile?

Is anyone doing Airbnb? Assuming some cities have no regulation to forbid Airbnb a unit without owner occupancy, is it worthwhile to convert a unit into Airbnb for each bedroom?

Alternatively, you can also lease a furnished unit to corporate relocations or other short term clients.

Apparently this should produce a much higher income than regular rental.

Airbnb could double or triple the rental income. Furnished unit can increase income by 50% to a double I guess.

Since I wanted to be as passive as possible in my rentals, I decided not to pursue it. It seems like a good options if you can be involved. I think there are some companies you can hire to do it for you too, but never tried it.

I’ll definitely have someone else to do most of the offline work, but I think you need to at least take control the Airbnb online account, or at least be able to track.

Only question is whether the actual income from Airbnb or furnished rental would be worth all the troubles

Airbnb rentals rarely have more than 50% occupancy. We own one in Nevada…Probably make 20% more than a long term rental…But it is a lot more work and a lot more wear and tear…We use airbnb and Vrbo…they are both greedy Bastards, plus we pay huge TOT taxes at 14% to Douglas county…

1 Like

I think flipping houses are less labor intensive than airBnb… and more fun! :wink:

I’m now warming up to flipping, but have 2 difficulty to overcome.

1. Purchase a flippable house from time to time to make flipping a consistent stream. This is the most difficult part.
  2. Find a contractor or a few reliable workers to take care of renovation so that I don’t have to get involved in the gritty details.

Airbnb May Be Its Own Worst Enemy

The company is picking the kinds of fights with cities that it used to avoid.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-13/airbnb-may-be-its-own-worst-enemy?srnd=premium

Uh, no (in the Fab 7x7)…

1 Like

Zillow, AirBnB, and Robinhood all hired new CFOs from Amazon.

Amazon is hot now. Startups love to poach from big hot rods to raise profile. Just before Amazon is to poach from Facebook and Google.

$750/night or $2000/weekend. Who knew turning a house into a sex dungeon was the key to Airbnb profits? Investors should take note.

If Airbnb is profitable, isn’t Hotels or Bed &Breakfast even more profitable?

Why not buy a small hotel and operate like an Airbnb?

I have done many loans for people running AirBnB and yes, they are making big money doing so. The problem at first was that lenders would refinance their properties. So the loan you got when you bought the property was the loan you were going to live with. Recently though I am now able to finance them, the rates are a little higher than a non-owner occupied FNMA loan, but at least they are now reasonable. You can advertise a bed and breakfast on AirBnB. AirBnB seems to be a big win as far as I can tell.

Mercury News needs a better proofreader:

While it could be a few months before it’s finalized, the city council on Tuesday directed staff to explore a deal with San Francisco-based Airbnb to automatically collect a 14 percent tax for any stays booked in Milpitas, and pay it to the city, as standard hotels in the city already do.