Airbnb

1 Like

“This year marked several high-profile IPOs including Uber Inc and Lyft Inc, but the companies have fared poorly after their launch, amid investor skepticism over their lack of a concrete plan to profitability.”

More accurately, it would be the complete lack of the sustainable business model. At least AirBnb is profitable and not burning through cash like crazy. They have a chance to be super successful.

2 Likes

Seems like the Bay Area is full of that. Wishful thinking run businesses.

Does it matter to founders and early angels? They made a killing.

On a paper but how many have exited? I bet many will ride the crashing plane into the ground.

The 31% revenue growth is disappointing. Now everyone waits for growth to slow to go public.

…five people were killed at a house party in an Airbnb rental in California on Oct. 31.

City should sue Airbnb for billions of dollars just like PCG was sued. Also, pass a bill requiring AirBnB to buy expensive rental insurance from BrkB :star_struck: Also, every Airbnb must instal ring doorbell that pipe video to police, er, cloud.

1 Like

Losing money? No way…

SF is too expensive.
SWEs are too expensive.

The company’s board in recent weeks has questioned executives over why costs are growing more quickly than revenue,

The board has consulted @marcus335 :wink:

CEO looks like Mark Cuban junior.

1 Like

I don’t get how they flipped from a profit to a loss.

I maintain a ton of unicorns aren’t actually tech companies. The gross margins are too low, and they require massive headcount to scale their business. These unicorns employs thousands and some employ over 10,000. That’s not tech. It’s an operations company using human labor to do far too much. I think it’s a side effect of easy VC money at very high valuations. No one cares about business processes and scalability. They just throw more people at it.

Better examples are WhatsApp, Instagram, and even google. I think goggle was around 800 employees when it public. Achieving massive scale with few employees is impressive and leads to massive profit potential that justifies the valuations. Most of the rest are just pretenders.

Every startup should have revenue per employee as a metric with a target. It’d also keep them focused on the biggest impact projects while saying no to expensive projects that aren’t critical to revenue growth.

2 Likes

The cities suing them right and left shows they are basically a hotel brand/marketing business not a tech business.

1 Like
  • Airbnb raised $1 billion in a new round of funding led by Silver Lake and Sixth Street Partners.
  • However, the company’s valuation has fallen to about $26 billion from $31 billion in 2017 as its business slows due to the coronavirus pandemic.
  • It’s still unclear if Airbnb plans to go public this year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/06/airbnb-raising-1-billion-amid-fallout-from-coronanvirus.html