AI's Investment Implications

This is very preliminary and early stage ( and quite possibly not very lucrative long term) but
it’s the kind of deep dive I think we need more of with technology. In some ways I find it more intriguing than recent AI advances.

My Parents’ Dementia Felt Like the End of Joy. Then Came the Robots

The Stanford robot is not cooking by itself, even though it looks like it. Watch till the end and you’ll see a guy controlling the robot arms from behind.

This shows how much of a vaporware Tesla’s Optimus is. It’s still a research project in one of the best AI labs in the world, and nowhere near production ready.

But if network is fast enough, maybe in the not too distant future we can hire a remote cook in China tele-operating our cooking robot.

We’re already doing it with surgery. Why not cooking?

Because cooking is more sophisticated than surgery :sweat_smile:

This can cook. Sort of.
Not really AI but still nifty. Doubt I’d get one though. And housekeeping is such an individual thing anyway.

Well timed.

Reason for rally.

Looks like I am not the only one having this impression. Here on the technical r/dataengineering subreddit people also say the same thing. They do vague ass sales pitch to non technical executives and it never ends well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataengineering/comments/15r6k9i/is_palantir_as_good_as_they_say_is_it_worth_our/

it seems all the comments on that post are negative. They are expensive second rate solutions but they have a great sales team.

Unless you can’t put your data on the cloud there are way better solutions like databricks or snowflake.

They use a very slick sales pitch and yes, it is very expensive.

Do you have a reason why you need Palantir due to your industry? Are you in an “on prem” environment? For most orgs, an Open deployment model on the cloud is more flexibke and reduces lock in. Palantir was originally pushed as an “Analyst (intel) Toolkit”. They’re trying to exoand but originally it was a way to offer relatively innovative tech in “slow moving” secure environments. That’s why it was quite popular in the government space. If that’s not you, question whether its the right tool.

But Palantir isn’t just expensive, it’s damn sticky: lots of custom code to get integrated, lots of proprietary muck and only there engineers can do it. You’ll never get them out.

Seriously, without the data protection requirement, I wouldn’t bother. It will affect your hiring and everything too as knowing what I know now I would definitely ask for more pay to work with it again over azure/AWS.

If the tool is as good as they say, why are there only < 600 open positions in Indeed USA (should be directly proportional to number of clients).

Even if the company manages to land lot of clients in short period of time, where are the Palantir skilled engineers to meet the demand.

I agree with other commenters, snowflake and Databricks are better options.

I have the same impression as you about those redditers.

That’s hilarious, since Palantir used to claim they could have their software setup and running with a new customer in a few days. They didn’t like it when I started questioning that and how they were doing it.

Companies are so far from needing AI to operate more efficiently. AWS is setup so each service is its own business with its own leaders. When a company negotiates a new contract with new discounts, each service has to update the customer discounts separately. There’s not a single billing table with customer ID, service, and discount. We’re literally on month 3 of them still fumbling to get all the updates made, auditing the bill, submitting tickets for updates, and getting refunds for being billed incorrectly. At their scale, their process for this is completely embarrassing.

I’m convinced no one wants to be hyper efficient. It would mean smaller headcount and lower job titles for everyone.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I am wondering whether it is possible for future businesses to be a network of SMBs.

I’ve thought about that too, and if SMBs could partner to get more negotiating leverage.

Gen AI returns time to consumers and returns control of content to content owners. Buy content owners?

I recently learned that this opinion of mine below has a big name:

And the given reason is exactly the same as mine:

@manch,

Since you’re a super duper CS major, I have a CS question. Given a data lake, do the need for a data management system, a data warehouse, observability software and data analytics software reduce as generative AI improves?

This is obviously a self-interest question since I own SNOW NET and PLTR.

My programming skill is actually not that impressive. But I am super duper opinionated though. Here are my thoughts.

I don’t think Gen AI will lessen the need for data warehousing SaaS. It won’t make Snowflake or Databricks obsolete. So far we have seen GenAI helping developers become more productive. It won’t turn someone who knows nothing into an expert developer. Managing big data is a very specialized skill. Most companies don’t have that kind of technical skill in house.

In fact I think it will get the Snowflakes of the world more business. Snowflake already manages your company’s data. It’s natural for them to integrate Gen AI to make your company’s data more useful.

Bring logic to data? Or bring data to logic? I think the first approach is easier.

3 Likes

Didn’t verify what this Gorilla claim.

Anyhoo, nowadays, I hardly use Google. Mostly ChatGPT. Guess my type of queries is best served by ChatGPT.

Starting to think Meta and Nvidia will be the two biggest winners in AI.

1 Like

In Nov 2017…

NVDA is over $1T already.

In Sep 2017…

Realize that edge AI is the future yet hesitate to buy AAPL. SMH.
Wondering Aloud: Did @manch invest in the end-point cybersecurity stock, CRWD?

You should read up on how big the model size has grown since 2017.

2017 is also the year the famous Transformer paper came out. It completely changed the field.