All about College!

Become law enforcement officers… policemen, sheriff…fbi maybe if lucky

Food in Malaysia has been phenomenal!!! Freaking awesome, baby!!!

1 Like

Asians are the modern day Jews. Better hide our identity or else we will be shunned.

When it came time to fill out his college application form, Max Li chose not to declare his race. Even though he knew his last name sounded Chinese, he selected “prefer not to say.”

Clara Chen was advised to avoid the Advanced Placement exam for Chinese because college admissions officers might assume, based on her last name, that she already spoke the language, which could undermine the value of her score. She took the test for Advanced Placement French instead.

When Marissa Li was growing up, she loved playing competitive chess, and spent hours studying the matches of some of her favorite players, like Bobby Fischer. But on her college application, she barely mentioned her interest in the game because she was afraid that it might come across as too stereotypically Asian.

2 Likes

More fencing, less math is the ticket.

1 Like

Didn’t work for my son. Maybe he had too much math to go with it.

Where did your son eventually land? Waterloo?

I didn’t get into the college of my choice back in the day either. Eventually, things work out. He’ll be fine.

1 Like

It’s a great place if he can transfer into CS (prospects are looking good), but he should’ve had other choices. But note that U Waterloo does merit based admissions. The US’s top students should not all have to be shipped off to Canada to get an education.

The US admissions system is really broken. Sports teams should not be the first priority of a college.

1 Like

I think the real shame is that college spots in popular majors have not kept pace with demand. That pits kids and parents into this zero sum game of who gets in and who doesn’t. Each UC campus can 5x their CS spots and they will still all fill up. We are wasting a lot of potential talents here.

3 Likes

catching up now. Our middle school (6th grade), barely gives any homework. Most Asian parents are annoyed by this and are supplementing at least math extracurricularly. Non of our friends who are non Asian are doing similarly.

2 Likes

I don’t understand this either? why can’t they 4x their STEM spots and reduce spots in majors that have no interest? it could be lack of teachers, but state schools can hire more grad students

2 Likes

I don’t understand it either. In California at least NIMBY’ism is a big factor. Berkeley wanted to build some more dorms and all hell broke loose with their NIMBY neighbors. Maybe we can’t really expand UC’s much. They are meant to be flagship research schools. But we can at least expand, and maybe even build a few more Cal State U’s? Those are meant to be teaching colleges. San Francisco State, San Jose State, and the two Cal Polys have pretty decent CS programs.

3 Likes

The City of Berkeley has been against building housing since the 60s. The riots in 1969 were in protest against building student housing on a University owned lot. “People’s park” was taken over by protesters. They wanted a park instead of much needed housing. Basically the start of the wacko progressive Neo liberal idiots that now run Berkeley and San Francisco. It is truly amazing how stupid the left was and still is. That park is still there. A garbage strewn hellhole. A homeless haven. The wackos are still fighting their stupid battle against housing . They are primarily responsible for the homeless crisis in modern times. They make me want to puke. BTW, I restored three houses in Berkeley in the 70s while these wackos were busy destroying my home town with rent control and woke politics. The evil of these communists is now infecting the entire state.

https://www.peoplespark.org/wp/

2 Likes

Totally agree. I used to think it had to do with tenured teachers and limited spots, but people are hired as lecturers nowadays. I think one problem may be the pay rate. This would be easily solved by paying CS lecturers much higher than history profs. Sorry, but that’s supply and demand. With 500 kids in a lecture, I think there’s more than enough money there, BUT another solution is to charge a higher price for tuition to CS majors. Other schools already do that - U Waterloo charges $8K CAD for math majors, $16K CAD for CS, and for international students, that’s $48K CAD Math, $68K CAD for CS and Engineering.

If a family in California can’t pay higher for a CS degree fine, but many of us can, so as long as it’s cheaper than private, charge the extra. I’d say if base tuition is $18K, then make the CS degree $36K which is cheaper than the $50K private tuition. The kids will make it back within a year or two.

1 Like

Devil advocate

Why would I work as a prof when Google is paying me nearly a $1M for doing 2 hrs per day?

Too high becomes indiscrimination since certain group of people can’t afford the tuition. Also, such groups are getting financial aid/ loans. So tax payers are shouldering the cost. Why should taxpayers shoulder the cost to fund their subsequent luxury life and when these guys refuses to pay back their student loans.

Worse, 80-90% of the CS majors are below par. Shouldn’t be admitted in the first case.

Interesting tidbit from Quora:

What is the strategy or plan for teenagers to get into Ivy League schools?

I went to a very competitive public high school. (By the first run of college decisions for my graduating class, my class got into every top 30 school except Harvard.) First of all, these people did very well academically, getting A’s or high B’s in every AP class they took. On top of this, their senior year, Nearly all of them took classes at our local university. They were also very involved in clubs and sports, each one usually was either the president or captain of a club or team. One of my buddies who goes to Cornell and is doing a venture capital internship this summer was the president of Chinese Club and Quiz Bowl, and when we went to nationals for National History Bee and Bowl, he went all the way to the quarter finals for the individual competition. Even if they didn’t, one dirty trick I saw was them creating new clubs to gain officerships. One girl in my IB Spanish class who is now at Princeton was very guilty of this. Like Handwriting Olympiad? Seriously? (No offense to people who do it legitimately, but it just seemed like a terrible thing to do. These people also started their college applications SUPER early. Like I know some of them that basically read through past common app essay topics and found experiences that would directly apply to them. These people also had insane volunteering hours, or did research and were published by the time they donned their cap and gown and walked across the stage for graduation. Here’s the dirtiest trick of all though. It is an unspoken rule of top schools to limit the amount of Asians that they admit. Usually from my school, these colleges would take a maximum of one asian male and one asian female. So some people convinced others not to apply to schools they wanted to go to. Thankfully, some of them still had the integrity I thought they had. One of my friends who is triple majoring and doing pre-med at Yale refused to apply to Harvard even though he was pressured to by his parents only for the pride of getting in because he knew a friend of his really wanted to go there. Also his whole high school career was aimed at getting into Yale. It was his dream school and his brother did the same thing, then went on to UCLA’s medical school. However, one guy I knew convinced one of his childhood friends (since second grade) to not apply to his dream school so he could get in there, even though it wasn’t even his #1 pick. The one guy is now at Stanford and my buddy is at Dartmouth still. Honestly, it kinda brings out the true colors of people. Hope this helps you on your college journey and remember there may people out to get you, but you can still get into your dream school without screwing people over if you work hard enough.

2 Likes

Exaggeration? One couple only?

Truth is that it’s actually lower. Maybe one kid per year.

This is Lynbrook’s profile. 80% Asians. One of the top high schools in the nation.

From 2018-2022, that’s 5 years.

Harvard: 4
Yale: 2
Princeton: 3
Columbia: 7
Brown: 2

They do have a lot more going to Stanford and MIT though. Stanford may be skewed by parents going to Stanford themselves, so legacy admission. MIT, no excuse. These kids are smart.

2 Likes

One gem on Lynbrook’s profile:

Many students supplement with community college and online classes

Asian kids working too hard to be worthy of Harvard. Should play more useless sports like fencing and rowing instead.

1 Like

Even if get into the Ivy League and top the college, still can’t be CEO of an established company. Go back to China and HK. Look at Jack Ma! Can’t get to Harvard, and is one of the richest man in China.

1 Like

Jack Ma is hiding in Japan right now.

Don’t forget Indians are Asians too. Look at who are the CEO of Google and Microsoft. Hardware companies have a lot more Chinese/Taiwanese CEO’s, like AMD and Nvidia.

1 Like

I think they are referring to Chinese. Verify.

They tried not too but Taiwanese dominate Semi, not much choice. Nvidia is founded by a Taiwanese.

Long ago, they make a mistake of employing too many Indians. Going forward, things would be quite different. Slowly changing. Look back 10-20 years later.