All about College!

International students pay full fees. They are subsidizing CA students. But seriously UC needs to expand, or build more campuses.

True, but I’m also subsidizing the Cali students (with my taxes) while sending mine to another country… and paying full price there - like you said, but a different CA :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh the irony.

1 Like

Yeah that’s pretty ironic…

Now that UC doesn’t look at standardized tests, school ranks and GPA are the most important factors. I think it really hurts kids who go to the hyper competitive schools, aka the “Asian schools” like in Cupertino. Unless your kids win the gold medal in Math Olympiad or something.

Since SF schools don’t even teach Algebra 1 in middle school, the most advanced math kids in that UC champion school Mission High can reach is probably Calculus AB.

Here are a few other schools’ UC admission rate:

3 Likes

Wow - only 43% of applied students got admitted to UC Davis from Paly? That’s crazy!

1 Like

Only 33% acceptance rate to Davis from Monta Vista. So 43% from Paly is already quite high.

Isn’t 75% admits from Cali good? What % were you expecting?

I agree they need to expand total capacity and also reduce admin spend.

No. Texas requires 90%.

Also keep in mind that the “UC guarantee” is pretty much “if you’re in the top 10% of public school students, we’ll guarantee you a spot at UC Merced.” That’s not much of a guarantee especially if Merced doesn’t have the program you want. So those 15% of spots are valuable to someone.

I bet UC Merced’s ranking will climb a lot in the next 20 years. Even UC Riverside, the lowest ranked UC before Merced came along, is now in the Top 90 nationwide.

1 Like

I’ve never been to Merced, but I hear it’s not a fun place to live. So it will only come so far compared to UCSC and UCSB

Great news!!! I am a very, very proud Uncle! My niece made it to the University of Oxford!!!

(Woohoo, F U Brown University for wait listing me, she said!!!)

2 Likes

Congrats! That’s not an easy application!

Yup, according to her mom she had to interview several hours with professors. Yikes!!!

1 Like

Saw this on Quora:

Do students who attend Oxford University generally enjoy their experience there?

Some do. Some don’t. But a disturbingly proportion of Oxford undergraduates are truly miserable during their time there. A number of famous former Oxonians have spoken publicly about the mental health challenges of constantly fighting to stay afloat in a highly pressurised academic environment. Statistically one undergraduate in five will seek help for mental health issues whilst studying at Oxford. That’s a lot.

2 Likes

Gen Z are too soft.

1 Like

Maybe they’re smart enough to ask for help when they need it unlike my generation. Even a friend who was suicidal didn’t want to get professional help.

Thanks! I saw my niece at a baby party on Sunday. She understands that it will be tough, she was supposedly slightly below average on some scale or measure. She said apparently the way it works there is that if you do poorly on the year end finals or something, you could get kicked out. Yikes!!!

Not only that, British kids have one more year of high school before going to college. So your niece is already at a one-year disadvantage compared to her classmates.

She better hit the books hard!

Right, only a 3 year program. Oh, she is majoring in English Lit. I know… but she is probably doing a masters or law school I would think. The girl was also a skating protege once and appeared on Kristie Yamaguchi’s ice skating shows… I ain’t worried about her future!

I had to of course brag to my Lowell buddies and one of them happens to “follow” this Oxford debater for some reason (NSFW).

(1) Cecilia Zhao | Technology Empires Debate | Opposition (2/6) - YouTube

Looks like Eric went to Harvard. I was looking over the Putnam exam results and his name showed up in the Honorable Mentions.

Putnam is completely dominated by MIT, and eyeballing the last names, something like 70% of the kids are Chinese.

2 Likes

Wow. So math contests are a good way into MIT.

BTW… How many girls are on that list??? Crazy…