All about College!

Rust said that after Shannon called her to say she had been cut from several sororities, she was more upset than her daughter was. “How could they not want my kid,” Rust recalled thinking. Then she picked up the phone and got consoled by Addicks.

“Having someone to be able to call 24/7 to talk me off the ledge was immeasurable,” Rust said.

Parent paying for emotional support because her kid didn’t get into a freaking sorority?

:rofl:

2 Likes

While there are pros and cons to frats/sorots, I am glad I stayed a loner at UCLA. I had many friends in the asian frats and stuff but that was just not my thing.

I had a distant relative whose daughter was in an official Greek sorority who lived in the sorority home right off campus. She left her jacket or sweater in my car after an outing so I had to go drop it off. OMG, the wealth was just oozing out of every window. This sorority home was essentially a Bel Air mansion. While I was waiting for her, two floozy blondes were plunking on a grand piano in the living room. SMH big time…

1 Like

I always think those Greek houses are just non stop booze and sex parties. Blew my mind parents actually hire consultants to put their kids in one.

2 Likes

I get it, the networking is perhaps worth the money. Despite all the crap I say about USC, I hear the alumni is tight and it just might be worth that fortune paid if it lands a great job. I was just a poor lad swimming in a well known college that was disguised as a public university. Did I not tell you about the coed who who was picked up by a limo every weekend from the dorm to go home presumably? What a joke…

1 Like

The real affirmative action is to get rid of legacy admissions. If Harvard doesn’t take public money, it can do whatever it wants. But since it does take public taxpayer money by the boatload it should be held accountable.

1 Like

Study of Elite College Admissions Data Suggests Being Very Rich Is Its Own Qualification

1 Like

no paywall. have fun.

Charts show UC admissions rates for every high school in California

Here are UC admissions rates for California public and private high schools to UCLA, Berkeley and other UC campuses in 2022

https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects/2023/uc-admissions-acceptance-rates/

1 Like

good one, thanks for sharing

I would like to see the same analysis of UC admissions… I would not be surprised if the UCs also disadvantage California’s Asian population. And I want to see only CA’s population included - you can’t say “we let in just as many Asians” if the majority of them are from out of state paying full-price.

New paper on college discrimination against Asians.

Authors:

Joshua Grossman
Stanford University

Sabina Tomkins
University of Michigan

Lindsay Page
Brown University

Sharad Goel
Harvard University

Abstract:

There is debate over whether Asian American students are admitted to selective colleges and
universities at lower rates than white students with similar academic qualifications. However,
there have been few empirical investigations of this issue, in large part due to a dearth of data.
Here we present the results from analyzing 685,709 applications from Asian American and white
students to a subset of selective U.S. institutions over five application cycles, beginning with the
2015–2016 cycle. The dataset does not include admissions decisions, and so we construct a proxy
based in part on enrollment choices. Based on this proxy, we estimate the odds that Asian
American applicants were admitted to at least one of the schools we consider were 28% lower
than the odds for white students with similar test scores, grade-point averages, and extracurricular activities.
The gap was particularly pronounced for students of South Asian descent (49% lower
odds).
We trace this pattern in part to two factors. First, many selective colleges openly give
preference to the children of alumni, and we find that white applicants were substantially more
likely to have such legacy status than Asian applicants, especially South Asian applicants.
Second, after adjusting for observed student characteristics, the institutions we consider appear
less likely to admit students from geographic regions with relatively high shares of applicants
who are Asian. We hope these results inform ongoing discussions on the equity of college
admissions policies.

Ok, so if that’s true compared to White students, and we know that a lot of the “blue state” colleges are admitting whites lower than POC, how much LOWER is it than the average?

Also “less likely to admit from regions with a lot of Asians” ie populous states like CA and NY? That totally make sense - they already tell us they want kids from every state, not 10% from CA, and 0 from Alaska.

Everyone wants to dance with the prettiest lady at the Ball…

USC > UCLA I was told.

1 Like

Sure, and that’s why UCLA received the most apps out of any university in the land and had the lowest acceptance rate of the UC system.

UPS drivers getting paid 170K a year under the new union contract. No wonder boys are not interested in going to college anymore.

Tech workers react to UPS drivers landing a $170,000 a year package with a mixture of anger and admiration

• The average UPS driver could get $170,000 in pay and benefits in five years’ time in a new contract.
  • Tech workers said the boost could make UPS driver pay competitive with tech salaries.
  • Some tech workers said they feel “underpaid” in comparison and others pointed out UPS drivers have difficult jobs.
1 Like

I saw they have to work 70 hrs per week and very hard job

1 Like

Yeah. I was actually happy these truckers make good money.

I think in a way we are partially back to the heyday of middle class America in the 50s or so. Unions are making a come back, and people can get decent paying jobs with a high school education by working hard.

But these good paying blue collar jobs are mostly for men only. I think that largely explains why boys are much less interested in college than girls. We should lessen the education requirement for more female-dominated jobs, like teaching and healthcare.

2 Likes

Hold on, my cousin is a long, long time UPS driver in the East Bay. High on the seniority, so he gets every vacation requested pretty much, no questions asked. DUDE DOES NOT WORK THAT MUCH!!! Sure, busy season during the holidays I am sure he works long hours but I know for a fact he is off a lot.

Kids these days.

1 Like