All about College!

:question:

Of course I have my own thoughts. I actually think I know more about China than these Western media reporters. They are mostly reporting the symptoms, and only after a long time lag.

Your service vs manufacturing thesis still in doubt.

From the article…

A central problem, economists say, is that China isn’t creating enough of the high-wage, high-skill jobs that are sought after by its expanding base of educated young people, many of whom have loftier expectations than previous generations.

Above is in sync with what the article is saying…

In April, the local government in Guangdong set a goal of steering 300,000 graduates in the next three years to help incubate startups and pursue careers in rural regions.

From the article…

The economy overall is becoming more oriented toward services. However, many of the services jobs created during the past decade are lower-end roles, such as delivery drivers and restaurant waiters, which don’t necessarily attract university graduates, said Rory Green, head of China and Asia research at TS Lombard, a research firm.

So your comment…

is not true. Service jobs are mostly blue-collared.

Heck, I am sure that the plumber who will be looking at my combi boiler to see why the heck it is not producing hot water is not going to charge me pennies…

2 Likes

University of Texas has stats about how much their students make after graduation and how much student debt they owe. Great stuff.

Here’s stats comparing CS, Accounting and English majors. No surprise the English majors make the least. But also they have the highest debt load:

3 Likes

Bad decisions on bad decisions…

I saw data that people who had student loan payments paused gained more debt during the pause than people who don’t have student loan debt. That pause could have allowed people to change their financial picture. Instead, they went further into debt and will be in worse shape when payments resume.

I think it highlights that we don’t have a student debt crisis. We have a financial habit crisis. I have zero appetite for bailing out people who didn’t take advantage of a multi year pause in loan payments.

3 Likes

I hope the Supreme Court strikes it all down!!! I prefer my idea. Instead of an out and out handout, I want the borrower’s skin in the game first. Meaning, you pay X, the government will then give you Y in terms of a tax credit or some offset. It is not fair to everyone else who manages their finances when it came to schooling for themselves.

3 Likes

Allegedly Chem 3B at Berkeley this summer semester:

1 Like

Stanford president also resigned over doctored data in his publications.

Stanford alumni :-1:

Good article in today’s SF Chron if you can get it…

Here is a snapshot…

1 Like

What is the article link?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects/2023/california-colleges-demographics/

The “not quite elite” crowd is taking it on the chin.

1 Like

You saw this on twitter?

Yes. I am an Elon X addict.

1 Like

Also from X:

Affirmative action for the 0.1%.

WSJ: Parents Hire $4,000 Sorority Consultants to Help Daughters Dress and Impress During Rush

This article is so damn funny.

:rofl:

Parents Hire $4,000 Sorority Consultants to Help Daughters Dress and Impress During Rush

Getting into sororities is nearly as tough as entry to top universities; ‘Be trendy but not too trendy, modest but not too modest, fit in but be unique’

“You need to do it in a way that’s appropriate in southern humidity or else you’re going to have orange rivers running down your face,” said Trisha Addicks. She recommends keeping a “rush bag” with deodorant, portable fan, water and face powder.

That’s the kind of practical advice Addicks gives clients of her Georgia-based sorority-consulting firm, It’s All Greek to Me. Showing up in Dr. Martens combat boots, as one client asked about, might not be putting your best foot forward in some sorority circles, she said: “During rush, you’re not going to be confident if you’re wearing them, and everybody else is wearing espadrilles.”

Addicks offers a $600 seminar for women and their mothers to learn the basics about getting into a sorority; $3,500 buys unlimited access to sorority mentors who advise aspirants through every step. She is part of an industry emerging in recent years that sells tips and emotional support to women who want to avoid missteps that threaten first impressions. Sorority consultants cover such topics as what to wear, how to act, what to say and the wisdom of scrubbing potentially off-putting social media posts.

https://archive.is/3Hxvc/7d5c0bb1d3b3a33ae7f0161e986efb1ee54b744f.jpg

Shannon Rust, in an outfit curated by her sorority consultant, at the University of Georgia in Athens, Ga., during rush.

Getting into sororities has become nearly as competitive as acceptance to top universities. Applicants are asked to write essays, give their grade-point average and report whether they did volunteer work or played high-school sports. Women submit application packets with as many as 30 letters of recommendation, said Stacia Damron, owner of Hiking in High Heels in Texas. Some sororities require that applicants record video responses to their questions. “My boyfriend went to Stanford, and he said this is more complicated than getting a Stanford M.B.A.,” she said.

:rofl:

1 Like