Andrew Zacks, Thank You Again!

Interesting, even more detail for 16 years worth…

1 Like

I will charge you 1% compound interests, make sure you pay me right away or you will owe me big time in a year.

Nice job…keep it up

We obviously need some updated stats (since probably more) but here is a snapshot again.

Wow, hardly worth crying about, no???

Evictions filed using the Ellis Act increased from 113 to 154 between the March 2014 to February 2015 and March 2015 to February 2016 period. Other significant increases include owner move-in evictions, which rose from 343 last year to 417.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/san-francisco-evictions-continue-rise-year-since-2010/

There is asymmetry of information here. We landlords may know the inside and out of eviction process, but regular Janes and Joes do not. People are busy. That’s why ready-to-move-in houses sell at a premium. People pay more to have problem taken care of for them.

Sellers should DEFINITELY Ellis Act out the tenants before selling. SFH selling at 1.5M never make any sense as rentals anyway. Why worry about investors buying? No investors worth their salt will buy them. I agree with @ptiemann. Tenant-occupied can easily carry a 30% discount in SF.

SFHs maybe… Multi unit buildings??? I don’t think so.

You aren’t supposed to buy those in SF to begin with. :wink:

If that were the preferred way of doing it, then explain to me those very, very low number of Ellis Act evictions over the years. Proof is in the pudding…

Most people are not stupid. Actually a regular person can become brilliant when their own money is involved.

You need a deep pocket to stand the large and unpredictable legal bill for Ellis.

Anyone has done or consulted lawyers about Ellis?

Manch, you can go ahead buy a tenant occupied, Ellis out and sell for top dollars. If that’s feasible, you can become a serial Ellis and become famous. You better pull off your picture from Internet to avoid your picture published on SF newspapers when you become famous with the help of tenant rights protesters

1 Like

I have been wondering why no lawyer is doing serial Ellis and make huge gains. Maybe it’s not easy, or not as profitable.

Manch, why not get a law degree and become a serial Ellis evictor? At least you do not need to pay a huge legal bill

I suspect chasing ambulances is much, much easier work for them suits…

Legal activism has made justice so expensive. Many middle class people are deprived of their justice by legal activism.

This is one reason for Trump’s win

We are talking about this because a judge has ruled in favor of Ellis act. So maybe there are some “ultra liberal” judges out to get us landlords but this case is not that.

Maybe there are already many sellers choosing the Ellis act route. I don’t know. But don’t they have to disclose it? It’s certainly material to the transaction.

I would think most def disclosure is necessary. Hence, some buyers will walk to another property that has no conditions…

Legal activism has many forms. Most of the times, it’s in passive agressive form. When you do a Ellis eviction or non-payment eviction, the judge can’t deny the eviction, but he can allow the tenant’s free lawyer to extend the case to many months, thus running up the landlord’s legal bill and force the landlord to settle with the tenant. This is prevalent in SF and Oakland.

If your legal bill is 100k, plus 16k tenant relocation fee, plus any settlement you may need to pay the tenant, plus many months of low rent tenancy, it would make Ellis not as attractive.

The best strategy is to buy a tenant occupied property and do owner move in. But you need to move in and live there for a few years.

Courthouse being politicized is the saddest development from the liberal movement.

This judge made the right call, that’s comforting. This case is pretty much as expected since SF’s regulation is laughably unconstitutional. Even lower court judge has ruled that SF regulation is unconstitutional. Every judge in each level has ruled SF regulation as unconstitutional. SF city attorney can continue to waste taxpayer money to appeal to state Supreme Court and the federal Supreme Court, ruling will be the same.

This is why Trump is still helpful to SF landlords. If the Supreme Court become legal activism driven, just like what happened in Californian courts, USA will be in deep trouble, and landlords will fall into shit hole

Perhaps one of our members can chime in, but I don’t know for a fact that all Ellis Act evictions end up taking forever and thus costing that much. It is not a vague form of eviction, the owner simply wants out of the business. Pretty clear cut. And I agree, there is a string of instructions that one must follow exactly (and should really) just so if anything it goes relatively smooth. I personally might go into murky water and get the tenants (non protected, Mom would probably frown on doing anything to old people) out somehow semi legitimately. Why deal with lawyers?

I should have started an eviction service. Just wait for the tenant leave, put all their stuff on the street, and change the locks. Then the tenant has zero leverage. I’m sure it’d take them a long-time to get any court order mandating the landlord let them live there. The house could be sold before that. What are they going to do then? Their two options are sue the former owner over a house they don’t own, or sue the new owner who they never had a lease agreement with.

But be always mindful that there are pathetic ambulance chasing lawyers who might be starving enough for any business that they shoot sunshine up your tenants’ arses to sign on the dotted line for representation and then you get a knock on the door one day. Be careful. The last thing you want is to be in a courthouse facing a jury full of renters. Your arse would be toast.

1 Like

You would get a million dollar judgement for wrongful eviction. Even in Seattle, you could get a huge wrongful eviction judgement.

Isn’t there a story that that SF landlord paid $400k to the tenant since she raised the rent and the tenant moved out due to high rent? 400k is only a settlement since the tenant has some arguments but not guaranteed to win. If you lock the tenant out, that would be 100% a wrongful eviction. Tenant will ask for millions of dollars for the emotional distress

Man, this is the attorney that we need on the legal Dream Team when we go after the Holy Grail - Rent Control!!!

2 Likes