Andrew Zacks, Thank You Again!

We small time owners in SF owe you big time for your efforts in defending us owners against crap legislation like this out of our pathetic Bored Of Stupidvisors.

Compost, go and enjoy your new job down in the peninsula and stop harassing us!!!

2 Likes

Can someone Ellis Act out the tenants and then immediately sell the house?

I don’t see why not but I believe the rule is still that the building then can’t be re-rented for what 5 years? Don’t quote me on that one.

I am baffled why sellers don’t Ellis Act out the tenants and list the empty house, which can fetch much higher price? Tenant-occupied houses are difficult to sell. Buyers can’t just hop in to check them out, and regular people don’t know the eviction process and scared they can’t live in the house they buy.

Tenant-occupied easily carries a 10 to 15% discount. Fair?

Again, Ellis Acting a building means having to payout the individuals and that building is no longer rentable for a number of years. Who would buy that (if plans to rent)? There is much more about the Ellis Act laws to consider. I am not up on it since I don’t need to use it soon. One day, yes, for sure but not now.

I would say 10% to 15% in normal cities.
In SF much more than 15%.

Judges in liberal city SF are Uber liberal. Even if you have a clear case such as Ellis Act, they can still allow the tenant to drag the case into a long struggle and make your legal bill sky high. Ellis act eviction is supposed to be a clear and cut case to going out of business of landlording, but judges and politicians have made it a very expensive issue. All the news I read is about low income tenants. I suppose if you try to Ellis act a rich tenant, it’s going to be the same.

Trump needs to clean up the judges and appoint only reasonable judges.

In Oakland, tenant can pay no rent for 6 months and it’s still extremely hard to evict them based on non-payment. Liberal judges and the jury trial threat will force you to settle with tenants and pay them a lot of money to move out.

American judicial system has been politicized and it’s a real danger to the country

1 Like

Sample Ellis eviction case:

Another Ellis case

An Ellis eviction story of a low income Latino landlord and wealthy young white tenants. Who’s more qualified as victim?

http://www.sfexaminer.com/victim-wars-evictors-vs-the-evicted/

Most of these stories are old and were discussed here already. An owner MUST have an avenue to get out of the business if he/she wants to. Simple as that.

It’s already ridiculous to require landlord to pay tenant when the landlord is going out of business. And the liberals are still not satisfied. They even want the landlord to pay the rent differences after the tenant moves out. The landlord does not even have that responsibility to his kids or parents.

This is one reason why Trump won

If you don’t like a liberal city, Seattle is waiting for you. Or Russia for that effect.

That’s not very helpful comment. How would you like “if you dont respect property rights inherent in US constitution, go live in Somalia”?

1 Like

We should stay here and fight for our constitutional right. We need help from Trump, restore the Constitional property rights

1 Like

Here is just some of the info on Ellis Act procedures on the SF Rent Board site. It looks like min 5 years of no renting. That may be ok for a SFH and the new buyer plans to live there anyway but others who are investing will not touch these properties. Obviously protected tenants are a different class altogether but if one is looking at a home with a tenant in there I don’t see why he/she can’t condition offer accordingly that building be provided fully vacant. Let the seller try to get the tenant out somehow for that sweet offer price…

Pursuant to the Ellis Act, the Notice of Constraints imposes a 5-year period of vacancy control from the effective date of withdrawal. If the Ellis filing is rescinded, the 5-year period of vacancy control runs from the date of filing of the Notice of Intent with the Rent Board. Upon written request to the landlord, the displaced tenant has the right of first refusal if the unit is put back on the rental market within 10 years of the effective date of withdrawal - the landlord can charge only the rent-controlled rent within the first five years, but can charge market rent during the next five years.

Pursuant to state law amendments to the Ellis Act, the Board of Supervisors amended the Rent Ordinance in February 2005 to provide for relocation payments of $4,500 per tenant up to a maximum of $13,500 per unit, with an additional payment of $3,000 for each elderly or disabled tenant. The amendment also requires that the relocation payment amounts be adjusted for inflation on March 1, 2006 and March 1 of each year thereafter. Information regarding current relocation payment amounts can be obtained from the Rent Board by calling (415)252-4602 or by visiting our website at www.sfrb.org. A list of relocation payment amounts is also available at our office.

I apologize for this comment. I got caught up with the “if you don’t like president Twhitler leave the US” thingy.

2 Likes

@buyinghouse,

I will give you a dollar if you post something real estate related on this real estate related site…:slight_smile:

(In my defense for the occasional OT item, I like to think I do way more than my share of contributing real estate topics to earn a semi pass…)

It may take months or years to do Ellis eviction. The legal bill is huge. No seller would accept an offer with an eviction condition. The seller should Ellis first and then sell a vacant building for top dollars, either for owner to live or to demolate and rebuild

Well, people are doing them. Here is some stats for our buddies in So Cal. I am pretty sure I posted some stats for the Bay Area or SF proper before. Will look again.