Austin beats SF by 42% in the last 31 years

Having visited Austin in May looking at different neighborhoods, I can see why this may be. It’s a vibrant city (with traffic :frowning: like all other vibrant cities) that should continue to do well. There is a certain upbeat feeling there compared to our area now.

1 Like

Chew on this, @BAGB :grinning: (if you’re wondering, Austin is way, way down there…)

This reminds me of how people discuss a stock is up $10. It’s really a useless piece of info, since the percentage gain is what matters. $10 gain on a $100 stock is huge. A $10 gain on a $1000 stock isn’t even noteworthy. Focusing on the size of the move and not the percent change is an epic fail at math.

1 Like

Show us a house like this in Austin

2 Likes

Ok, so one cent that is doubled to two cents is a much bigger deal than, oh, 250K to say 350k?

Hahaha… once again this graph confirms there should be no other place to invest in real estate besides the Bay Area. Thanks for solidifying this fact, @sfdragonboy.

No, because similar to the stock example you can buy 10 shares of the $100 stock vs. 1 share of the $1000 stock. When the $100 stock goes up $10 or 10%, you’re going to make a lot more money than the $1000 share going up by $10. As long as there’s enough supply to deploy the same amount of capital, then it’s wise to seek the highest investment return. There’s no shortage of houses that can be bought, so it’s about maximum percentage return.

1 Like

I see you insist on an answer to your disbelief that Austin MSA (not Austin downtown or city) appreciates faster than SF MSA over your selected timeframe which is arbitrary. Over that arbitrary period,I have pointed out very clearly that Austin MSA appreciates slightly lower than SF MSA, the financial crisis caused a temporary aberration which should correct itself with time (by extrapolation which could be grossly wrong, fundamentals might change). The more pertinent question is why didn’t prices in Austin MSA crashes like SF MSA during the financial crisis? Put your math and graph knowledge to use :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bingo! Did you visit The Domain? Is very hip. Kind of like Santana Row’s vibe. I bought 2 properties aiming at folks who would likely work there.

I have a feeling buying multi fam in Austin makes financial sense. No rent control (yet) and price point much more affordable than BA.

Used to throw out pretty high cap rates. The gap has since narrowed. I think is still higher than SFH.

How much does a 4plex cost in not too shaddy parts of town?

Plenty of MFs and SFHs in above zip code :slight_smile:
Didn’t like MFs because of complications e.g. tenant profile and possibility of squabbling amongst tenants.

OK, Thiel is betting on Austin. Maybe we should too?

Peter Thiel’s VC firm moves from S.F. to Austin for its food trucks, tolerance and lower costs

1 Like

Please… the city by the bay will be here long, long, after you and I are dust…

But it’s Peter Thiel we are talking about here.

You see me no up. The article mentioned those reasons that I told you in this forum moons ago. Instead of calling me a visionary even earlier than Thiel, you quoted him without me ? Are you secretly a bi? :scream:

The departure, reported today in the Austin Business Journal, is turning heads given the reasons cited: Austin’s food truck scene, lower costs and greater diversity of thought.

Bold is a very good reason to be in Austin. Bay area is getting too narrow in thought and attitude. Everyone talk the same way :scream:

“What made (Silicon Valley) really attractive was it was one giant incubator as a society, with a lot of pay-it-forward culture and a low cost of trying. Now I’m worried about all three of those.”

Above is for tomato. Austin is beckoning.

I will call you a visionary when your bank account has 9 zeros in it. :smile:

:-1:

Sorry, but Peter Thiel’s sheet stinks like everyone else’s…

And, must I remind you that Star Trek had this area as Star Fleet Command so there, SF is not going away anytime soon…:grinning::grinning::grinning: