Austin MSA vs SFBA and TX vs CA

Wolf Richter is a liar conspiracy theory idiot. Live in your fantasy world. Not my problem. I Don’t own BA RE

He is using CAR data. You are living in fantasy land.

Data is easily manipulated. Lower priced houses are selling. Higher priced are not. Drives down the average sold price. Volumes of sales down. Sellers won’t sell unless they have to. Only 1% of houses sold per year. Therefore the value means little to the other 99%. Which means last spring less than .25% of the 2 million houses were soldin the BA… Basically none

Need some definition

Hardly any transactions for luxury category.
Some transactions of move up category.
Many transactions for entry level houses.

1 Like

Lies dam lies and statistics . Zillow your own home to see the roller coaster and pick your fantasy date for the ATH.

Vacancy rate from ApartmentList. Looks like the Austin bubble may be popping. High vacancy rate and accelerating. Lots of supply coming too.

:skull_and_crossbones:

In contrast, SF where everyone is supposed to be leaving has a middle of the road vacancy rate and lowest YoY increases among big metros.

Why rent apartment when you can rent SFH? In Austin, dumb to buy apartment to rent, buy SFH.
Anyway, I don’t follow apartment. No idea whether the info is correct or not.

1 Like

Happiest cities:

Fremont #1, San Jose #2 and San Francisco #5.

Austin? Number 49.

Sad.

:cry:

1 Like

People are so happy with SF that they are leaving in drove despite their high income (a measure use in happiness). Income in absolute dollar instead of purchasing power (income relative to cost of living) is used. Good job :wink:

Arizona has what amounts to a flat rate of under 3% for almost all filers. 2.55% for the poor.
What’s significant about all this is there doesn’t seem to be any benefit in terms of services for living in the higher tax states.

2 Likes

The people tested or the surveyors must be on drugs. Well in Burlington for sure. Bernie’s hometown. The idiots that elected him mayor and Senator. I won’t be visiting Sioux Falls either. Along with Bismarck or Kansas and most of the other places. In fact the only tourist destination is SF… now being promoted for tourism by the mayor since all the office workers are leaving for WFH… I wonder if that means SF waiters will start being polite … na… will never happen.

1 Like

Years ago there was a waiter in SF who’s name I’ve long forgotten who worked at a restaurant the name of which I’ve also forgotten. He was so rude he became world famous for being the rudest waiter anywhere. People would go that restaurant just to be insulted.

Wait - here he is - Wiki has a page on him.

1 Like

Loved that place. You could bring your own beer. Greasy Chow Fun was the food of choice after the bars closed.
There was a bar in El Cerrito 40 years ago they served prawn soup on Fridays. Regular patrons only. You were lucky if you were insulted. If not, they were probably going to throw you out

San Francisco downtown is crap. Nothing interesting happens there and it’s dead at night even before the pandemic.

For a more authentic SF experience head to the Hayes valley and Mission area. There’s a Chinese restaurant there called Dumpling Home that has a wait time of 90 minutes every night. Best XLB and pan fried dumplings in town. Someone joked chatGPT’s foundation code was written while the OpenAI guys were waiting for a table.

1 Like

I am sure it’s good. But I refuse to wait in line for food. In ninety minutes I could go to the store buy the ingredients, cook the dinner, clean the dishes and walk the dog… I would be asleep before they even ordered.

1 Like

Dumpling Home is good. Probably best XLB and pan fried dumplings in the entire Bay Area actually. But still not comes close to the ones I had at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Shanghai decades ago.

Come early right around 5pm and you won’t need to wait long. Some good things are worth waiting for.