Austin MSA vs SFBA and TX vs CA

1 Like

Austin is not a global city at all. Not ranked.

Dying elderly boasting that his accomplishment is more than an enterprising youth.

1 Like

Very little startup funding in Austin too. So the youth in Austin aren’t that enterprising either.

Garbage town.

:-1:

1 Like

I see you have forgotten your root.

莫æŹș民ćčŽç©·

California is the most popular state for Americans looking to move, with 27% of respondents choosing it as one of their top five dream states. The most popular city? Los Angeles, with 19% of votes out of the 50 most-populous metros in the country.

1 Like

At least this week Austin has better weather than LA
 low 80s

LA is in the 50s
 been the coldest wettest winter in my memory.
Supposedly 11 at Heavenly
 blizzard conditions. Looking forward to shoveling 2’ of snow til Monday
 Coldest winter since 1952
 Global warming sounds good to me.

This is why we live in California

2 Likes

Lori lightfoot got defeated in Chicago due to crime.
NYC mayor(who was elected on the basis of anti crime message) says Lori Lightfoot’s loss in Chicago is ‘warning sign for the country’

However

When I compare crimes SF seems to outstrip NYC and property crimes outstrip Chicago by a factor of 2, while violent crime is @80% of Chicago.

San Francisco, CA New York, NY United States
Violent Crime 39.6 28.2 22.7
Property Crime 79.2 24.9 35.4
San Francisco, CA Chicago, IL United States
Violent Crime 39.6 49.9 22.7
Property Crime 79.2 46.3 35.4

Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.

Property crime includes the offenses of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. The object of the theft-type offenses is the taking of money or property, but there is no force or threat of force against the victims.

What kind of deluded idealist utopian nincompoops vote for these kinds of people in SF and now rest of Bay Area?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/05/politics/eric-adams-lori-lightfoot-crime-cnntv/index.html

2 Likes

Remember when California had a budget surplus and used it to create more entitlement programs? Now the state is going to have a massive deficit.

4 Likes

This is in recent news. The carveout already exists for heinous crimes and to add drug dealing to the list seems very reasonable, but the kind of pushback seems blind that basically there can’t be any carveout regardless of whether it makes sense or not because it’s a threat of erosion. This is very similar to gun control. So we shouldn’t expect any resolution to the drug problem in SF just as there won’t be any solution to gun proliferation.

Also in the news was that the lawyer involved in the dog attack 20 years ago in SF was up for parole. So she spent 20 years behind bars for her role in the dog attack. What she did did deserve the sentence she received in my view, but I can’t help wondering that if it were to happen today will she still received such a sentence? Overall the trend is law becomes loose and breaking the law carries less consequences, so if she were to be sentenced today would it qualify as a lifestyle crime or some other no-biggie category? She didn’t intend to let the dogs kill her after all.

1 Like

Look like I will have bonanza tax reduction :+1:

The problem with these government entitlement programs are they are permanent, i.e. you can’t reverse or reduce them when circumstances in terms of revenue or income turn for worse for the state. Hence, CA govt has to feed it money from “somewhere”(aka more taxes) even when they can’t afford it.

whereas

Tax cuts are discretionary events, so it stops if economy turns worse.

https://archive.is/jsqoi

2 Likes

Exactly. Plus, why are they expanding entitlement programs with unemployment rates so low?

There has to be a reason why people are leaving CA even with low unemployment rates.

1 Like
2 Likes

Does anyone think 8.25 might a little too excessive for what they went through? No violence or any police brutality, they were handcuffed and sat in the police car for 70 minutes.

1 Like

Well
 darn. It took me decades to amass that. Wonder if settlements like that are taxable income? I read somewhere that if the settlement isn’t compensation for specific economic damage it may well be taxable.
In any event I take comfort from the near certainty that they will blow all the money within 5 years.