Austin MSA vs SFBA and TX vs CA

The Russian river probably floods pretty much every year? And people still choose to live right next to it. Don’t understand.

The Russian river does not flood every year

No where close to the record floods in the past. Not worth building a dam. Most buildings are elevated to deal with flooding

So the Russian River is not flooding every year, but once every other year? It’s still pretty awful.

“Poured over its banks” isn’t the same as threatening housing.

1 Like

In record territory

Is glory of CA/ SFBA number?

a. Anti-business policies
b. Anti-non-Black policies
c. Pro-criminals and pro-illegal immigrants policies
d. Collapse of a VC pillar, SVB
e. Wrath of the climate change (floods, storms)
f. Self-inflicted forest policies
g. Increasing influence of woke crowd
h. Anti-land lords policies

1 Like

Was watching a Larry Summers video of an interview hosted by a journalist of Economist magazine few days back and he was being asked questions and his answers were expected to be between “Long” or “Short”.

One Question among many-
Question: California?
Answer: Short

1 Like

You think climate change only affects California?

No. Differing impact. For Austin, use to be snowing once in 10-15 years. So far, seem to be 2-3 years.

You forgot the heatwave last year that knocked out power all over the state? Also forgot the “500 year” flooding in Houston that happens almost every year now?

Doesn’t affect me. So conveniently forgotten.
I stay in a rocky hill in such a direction that don’t have floods and hardly hit by storms.
My house is in a zone where there is guaranteed power supply.

1 Like

Also this point is a bit intriguing. As SVB failed I see a lot of people outside SV cheering, and many in SV defending it. That kind of attitude tells me many outside of SV still don’t get it. No hope of ever getting a startup ecosystem going.

It means other tech hubs have a higher chance to be the next SV :slight_smile:

Show me a few prominent startups in Austin next time. Meanwhile there is a ton of excitement in the AI space coming from a small neighborhood here in SF.

Austin is a teenager, not much to show yet. SB is an elderly who have plenty of past achievements.

1 Like

Title is misleading.

While many people would point to states without a state income tax as “low tax,” it’s largely people on the upper end of the income spectrum who get the most out of it. California, New York, and DC have programs like the Earned Income Tax Credit “which, literally send money to low and middle income tax people,” says Auxier. “States like Texas don’t have that.”

Author concludes that higher income tax people should go to Texas to benefit from the zero state income tax policy. Contrary to what another blogger here claims.

“California has genuinely low property tax rates, period,” says Walczak. “But when you look at that and say California’s effective rates are half of Texas’s, it doesn’t take into account that property costs in California are more than double Texas’s.”

:+1: Also didn’t take into account of homestead, +65 and veteran discounts. After those discounts, can end up as low as CA property tax rate. For recent purchases of similar homes, property tax in absolute dollars is 3-4 times that in TX. Ofc for Texans, “saving” in house prices, can be invested in S&P :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

2 Likes

Heard from a colleague from Texas who moved back to Texas one year back(after staying in the Bay Area for @15 years) that Texas Income tax “department” only works for 4-5?? months, i.e. Texas keeps it’s manpower costs at least in Income taxes low.(Need to verify this as it’s hearsay)

Also, The Texas Legislature meets in Regular Session for about five months every other year.(Maybe the colleague was talking about this)