Bay Area Housing Markets Got Spooked in September 2018

Executive Summary:

• Bay Area home sales declined by 20 percent year over year in September, with all counties posting drops, led by Sonoma and Contra Costa. In 2018, the region’s housing market activity is trending 4 percent lower year to date.
  • Santa Clara County posted sales declines across all price ranges.
  • Bay Area inventory increased by 14 percent year over year in September — about 2,000 more homes — with Santa Clara County contributing more than 50 percent to the total increase.
  • While appreciation has slowed from its spring peaks, Bay Area home prices are still up by 10 percent on an annual basis. San Mateo County maintained the strongest price growth at 19 percent.
  • Home price reductions were up by 7 percentage points, from 16 percent last year to 23 percent this September. Sonoma and Santa Clara counties posted the largest increases in price reductions.
  • The rebalancing between buyers and sellers is driven by affordability constrains and buyer fatigue, with the biggest change seen in relatively affordable and previously fiercely competitive markets.
1 Like

Annual inventory changes by Bay Area county and price range

What’s wrong with SC county?

Median home price changes by Bay Area County from September 2017 and March 2018 peak

Changes in price reductions by Bay Area county and price range

Again, what’s wrong with SC county?

SFHs or all types? Many apartments are launched in 2018 :grinning:

1 Like

Only says home sales and home prices, so maybe include both SFH and condo.

Yup, fall prices are still higher yr/yr.

The slowdown in the past 6 months is more than seasonal adjustment. If inventory stays high until January, we may have y/y price declines in the spring

What do you define as high inventory? It should be measured in terms of how many days of inventory there is.

As of today, SCC has 55 days of inventory and price decline is already significant. I think it we have 90 days of inventory, it would cause a lot of price damage.

But fundamentally there is no job loss so it is possible that sellers may push back and simply take it off the market. We have a weak demand due to affordability, but there is no seller pressure yet.

I think price peak has passed. The best we can hope is a market that is flat or grows with inflation.

Mortgage rate increase may end next year. The big question is whether and when big tech layoff will start.

1 Like

55 is still low inventory. A balanced market is considered 6 months.

I think 6 month would be a disaster in Bay Area. We have a chronic housing shortage, I think 3 month of supply will start causing seller panic.

3 months is considered as balanced market in SF by experts. SF only had over 3 months of inventory from May 2008 to January 2012.

1 Like

DOM is more critical than inventory. Still very low compared to national average. Even in bad times it was relatively low in the BA. Wasn’t easy to pick bargains even in 2010.
Only desperate sellers will give up in the next 5 years, even if prices drop. The DDD sellers will get hurt. But demand is still there and supply will always be limited

Agreed, and the stats say everyone is working, which is also key. As long as you have money coming in, you can buy, buy, buy…

I wonder if all the investors on here will be happy with 0 appreciation and slowly dropping rents for the next 5 years. If they start selling the market could drop.

Looks like realtors hurt the most. Still low inventory but even lower transactions

The FOMO is gone. There’s no urgency on the buyers part so first sales and later prices likely will head south. Yes people have jobs and make money, but are they making enough? As shown by the Dropbox wnginner’s essay I linked to earlier, many conclude it makes better financial sense to rent.

If people warm up more to stocks, if stock market starts going up again which seems to be consensus here, people will put more money in stock market, further dampening housing gains.

Just the opposite. People will sell stocks and buy houses.

Flippers and foreign buyers left the market. Looks like investors on here are on the fence. Prop 10 could hurt the market. But if rents keep going up, more buyers will appear.

Rent is dropping in SF. South Bay seems to be stagnant. The rising interests rate is a real buzz killer.

1 Like