Bay Area’s housing recovery isn’t as universal as you think

With double-digit price appreciation returning to some Bay Area markets, we’re used to hearing that the region’s homeowners are a lucky bunch, richer by the minute.

It’s often true, but not always.

A new report by Trulia, the real estate website, finds that only 60.4 percent of single-family homes in the Oakland metropolitan area have recovered their pre-recession peak values, compared with 84.3 percent in metropolitan San Jose and 98 percent in the San Francisco metro area. Out of 100 U.S. metros whose housing recovery was measured by Trulia, Oakland ranks 34th, while San Jose ranks 19th and San Francisco is No. 2 in the nation.

1 Like

Lots of red in CA:

1 Like

Guess the few patches of green is SFBA and LA metro.

Noted plenty of green in Texas :grin:

Like charts like above. Data driven. Not perception based on past experience.

3 Likes

It is all about timing, whether you personally are in the red or green.

1 Like

Yes, this article is assuming that everyone bought their house before the previous peak. However, bottom fishing in the red areas can be very profitable… often more so than the green areas.

Actually the article specifically mentioned CC county, your home turf @wuqijun.

CA still has a lot of areas to deploy capital. The whole central valley is blood red.

CC county was great! So close to home and so undervalued. No need to waste time and effort buying out of state or even out of the Bay Area. Stayed right here, short drive away, and got all my cash cows right next to my doorstep. No brainer investments!

However even CC is getting too expensive now… might have to look northward to Solano county now to get the bargains.

While some people love data, nice pictures, illustrations, blah, blah, blah, you have to have some experience living the daily lives of those losing everything and their subsequent moves to understand and perhaps anticipate their moves to cash in RE. Their aktions kreate s(enarios like the present.

It goes like this: The good areas get saturated with a multiple bids, not enough houses in the market, which pushes the losers to look at other areas surrounding their favorite spots. Then those areas become a hot spot, pushing the boundaries to the skirts of the area, to the point people start looking at places they wouldn’t even touch with a 1K feet pole. We see them buying homes beyond Sacramento, the Central Valley, Bakersfield, Visalia, Tulare, Modesto, etc.

But, if you learned anything about this, I swear, I bet the money in my bank, that next time some recession, if any, comes crashing everything, I believe you, some of you, will be ready to buy on the first areas that got hit like RWC, Sunnyvale, Mountain View and other places. Why? Because they are the first ones to get hit by lack of employment and the first to recover by the abundance of it. It follows a pattern, and if you are wise to see it, you will profit. How many heard about so and so part of San Jose, Oakland, et(? Don’t you regret hearing about it?

Those who go against the stream, the so kalled sheeple mentality, sometimes, become heroes, high achievers, and perhaps billionaires. Don’t be a sheep.

(I lost use of the third letter in the alphabet, darn keyboard).

buyinghouse,

You talk like wuqijun doesn’t know what he is talking about :grinning: Many factors are in play for the migration, we don’t know which one is dominant. By quoting one but didn’t mention the rest, means we feel that one is dominant :grin: and doesn’t mean we are not aware of the rest of the reasons, in blog we don’t bother to be complete and comprehensive as in academic writing.

I wasn’t referring to no one in particular. Not at all. I didn’t mention any names. Maybe you got it wrong by assuming I was following the thread where somebody answered to him?

Actually, see? He is doing what I was telling, he is going farther and farther for the big deal. Is he going to be a winner? Or a whiner? That is his own experience and only him will tell the next time what’s the best method to follow. As a non-investor, I tell of what I saw during the period prior to the big bubble. That is something all of you guys should learn. Where to invest the next time after the big one. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: