Berkeley Admissions Stats 2022

Did you get in?

(Sounds of crickets… LOL)

Even I am not dumb enough to say Cal is remotely a bad school (I didn’t), but if helping CREATE WHAT WE KNOW AS THE INTERNET is a “lower achievement” heck I would take that every day of the week!!!

https://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/heres-internet-invented-ucla/

When I was in medical device and we were hiring engineers we considered Cal Poly grads to be the cream of the crop.

I don’t doubt it. My thing is, a diploma is just that, a piece of paper. Yeah, a fancy big name good school is nice, but at the end of the day you still gotta perform baby!!! I may not have gone to Ivy League or Oxford (where my niece has decided to enroll in next Fall after checking it out recently) but no one will outwork me. No one.

2 Likes

Both Cal Polys or just SLO?

Either.

Also possible they took a Gap year. My understanding is that UCB doesn’t allow gap years, so they’d have to reapply. That said, it’s kinda crazy to give up that admission.

Even Cal Poly Pomona? Fascinating as their SAT average is like 1100.

Ours were out of San Luis. And top notch.

That was what Manch was asking - I think everyone thinks SLO is top-notch, but not so much the others. Which other Cal-polys are perceived as top-notch?

1 Like

I always thought there are only two Cal Polys. Your question prompted me to Google and lo and behold there are actually THREE Cal Polys!!!

Humboldt State recently made the switch to become the 3rd one.

Yeah… We thought there was only one as well. Until my son accidentally applied to the other one Aka “the wrong one” (Pomona). :frowning:

I think Pomona has a draw for kids who want to get internships at JPL, but he’s not a robotics/space kid.

We didn’t really distinguish but we needed very specific skill sets and the SLO’s had them.

Berkeley CS admit rate was 2.8% in 2022.

:scream:

You should calculate admitted/total_class_size as well.
In some schools, almost everyone applies for ucb/ucla because deviation on academics is so small.

1 Like

sorry but no - all I hear about those hyper competitive schools is high rates of depression, anxiety and suicide. I would much rather my child be at average school , even if they don’t get into UC Berkeley who cares they will still go somewhere else and find a good job.

4 Likes

The fact that you all are having this conversations in this way is just contributing to the mental health issue in adolescents

I think there is a balance to be had. We can look at it like sports. It is a competition and there is winner and loser in every game. Parents can encourage kids to try their best but reassure them if they don’t win that game it’s perfectly OK.

I think there needs to be some amount of expectation coming from the parents. I can’t be totally hands off and let kids do whatever. I’d like to see myself as giving the environment and the tools for my kids to succeed.

1 Like

Agreed there is a balance but if any child heard the type of discussion people are having on here there is no way to interpret that other than if I don’t go to this HS and get into XYZ top school I’m a failure.

Don’t let your kid come near this forum.

:rofl: