Berkeley students encounter mice, mold, bed bugs in dorms

To kill bugs

Generally speaking, your home will have to be heated up to 140°F and held at this temperature for two hours. Alternatively, you could have the home brought up to a temperature of 130°F and held at that level for three hours.

International and OOS students pay the tuition for the underrepresented students since they pay the higher tuition. Normal in-state students pay a subsidized tuition so their number needs to be squeezed in order to provide financial aid to low income.

If they remove subsidized tuition for in-state middle class students, in-state students will have the same chance as international and OOS students, which could be worse or better.

Money has to come from somewhere. Maybe make tuition to be 30% of the the family income no matter how many kids you have. If you have 3 students at the same time, you still only pay 30% of your income. If your income is $1M, you will pay 300k per year for 1 student or 5 student. Hopefully this will entice people to have more kids. If your income is 80k per year, you just 24k for 1 or 5 kids.

Paying their staff fat salaries and their retirees fat pensions so they can afford to live comfortably in their million dollar estate on Berkeley hills.

2 Likes

State universities should be federal school instead. This way, out of state student will be a non issue.

If your family makes under $80k/yr, then tuition is free. That’s where your tax dollars and the high tuition fees of out-of-state and international students goes.

Also, the number of administrative staff grows at 4-5x the rate of student growth. That’s led to sky rocketing operating costs. Blaming the state funding reduction is popular rhetoric that gets people to react emotionally and distracts from the math. The math is someone has to pay for all the students getting “free” tuition, and someone has to pay for all the additional administrative staff.

3 Likes

Are you sure? I read somewhere that only rich people can afford to work as professors as their pay is pathetic low.

Reptile mites have the same vulnerability - even the eggs. But you can’t heat every wall and crevice. I’ve sterilized enclosures in a hot car but the reptile room still needed chemical treatment. In the Berkeley situation a permethrin compound applied to the legs of bed-stands every 6 weeks would probably do the trick once the bedding itself was treated.

Yes but housing is also subsidized by the university for their tenured staffs. So basically they get to live in those million dollar homes at a fraction of the cost of a normal person.

Never heard of that.

The average pay of professors is low. This is because today 75% of college lecturers are adjunct professors, who get paid close to nothing with zero job security. Don’t ask me how I know.

3 Likes

Well then how do you suppose they are spending their $2 billion budget with a deficit? Someone is definitely pocketing all that cash.

Reno has a shortage of substitute teachers…Pay is $90-100/day…$12/hr…when min wage is $15/hr in the BA…No wonder there is a national teacher shortage…My guess is the higher the min wage the bigger the shortage in skilled labor…Why bother to get a skill when you can get $15-20/hr for just showing up…

You can’t compare a professor’s pay at a prestigious university to that of a substitute teacher in Reno. UC Berkeley staff get paid well and live in subsidized million dollar houses.

1 Like

Meanwhile football coaches make millions and there are a ton of administrative staffers making $100k+ a year.

1 Like

UCB salaries gofrom $86k starting to $150k…Unless you are nationally known or a coach…Pretty low compared to tech salaries

My plumber makes $200k+ a year and dates models :grinning:

Only 15% of SV works in tech. It’s still higher than a median income in SV. It’s really messed up when administrators earn more than professors.

1 Like

@Jane, I admit I didn’t know much about UT Austin, but you are right they have a lower percentage of OOS/international students than UC. In fact, the state with the highest percentage of in state residents among all new students (to public universities) in the country (94%) is TX. CA is not far behind, however, in 5th place (~90%). While both states are “protecting” their in state residents, TX has far fewer public universities than CA, and thus fewer seats available to those OOS/abroad.

It isn’t because UT Austin isn’t trying to reach out to qualified applicants from other places. I guess they might get fewer of them though, as TX does not shine as brightly as CA for outsiders. More than this, the current situation is that having fewer STEM graduates at UT Austin makes it harder for tech companies there to find the talent they need, and in turn creates pressure to hire employees OOS/abroad. This is a cause for tension without understanding the factors involved.

https://nsf.gov/nsb/sei/edTool/data/college-19.html

Hate to interrupt the mice, mold, bedbugs discussion. Good to know there are some solutions out there to try.

A saint that loves Kim…

Anyway, Glassdoor says Berkeley professors earn $150K/year.

How about their pension and other benefit? They work 9 months a year and their daily life is pretty idle